High Integrity Earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to kick a sleeping dog (actually, I would never do that- I love my dog), but I have an issue particular to the endless discussion on this topic.

I'm a newbie, just about to be assessed for membership of Elecsa and I've done a complete new installation which he's going to inspect. I've wired 3 separate rings, kitchen, sitting room, upstairs (2 bedrooms).

I've wired both CPCs to the same terminal in each socket but I'm thinking that I ought to now redo all of them into separate terminals.

I've assumed that I do not need high integrity earthing as it's a bog standard two up, two down house and very unlikely that there will be more than 10mA current but, would it be seen as good working practice or would it be seen as a half assed attempt to sort of comply, when, judging from the conversation, compliance isn't achievable without running 2 CPCs?

Basically, the short version of my question is - do you wire into separate terminals, even if high integrity earthing isn't required?

Thanks
Andrew

------------------------

Topic split from here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=142565
Moderator 9

Sponsored Links
ahhh1gv.gif

When HE earthing is not required you may wire into the two separate terminals if you so wish, you may wire them both into one and use the other for say a strapper to the back box if you want to put one in.

As for running in two CPCs, all I'm going to say is every guidance document I have seen on the subject says that for socket outlet final circuits a single ring CPC complies, including the 17th edn OSG.

As for running in two CPCs, all I'm going to say is every guidance document I have seen on the subject says that for socket outlet final circuits a single ring CPC complies, including the 17th edn OSG.

All I would add is that things change if you add spurs to such a ring. The spurs will then have to comply.

Any 'high integrity cpc' is sized mainly due to robustness and not any electrical properties i.e. to increase the reliability of the cpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back