High Integrity Earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand the principle of high integrity earthing at sockets when protecting sensitive equipment.

But what happens when you get back to the CU and "circuit 2's" CPC's should be in space # 2 on the CU earth bar. Should those be split? Should that earth bar have 2 connections, again, onto the main incoming supply? How far do you go?

Am I just on an adrenalin rush through alcohol and Italy beating France?

Or am I thinking to hard on a day off??

Sponsored Links
As the connection from the CU to the mains (or submain) is likely to be larger than 10mm, you would not need to have two connections here.

You do need to split the two earths of the circuit at the DB (and fit a warning sticker), so would use two terminals. If there are not enough terminals, you can share terminals with adjacent circuits. Not ideal, but better to share that way than put them both in the same terminal. If you have two or three circuits that have high integrity earthing, you can simply swap the earths around (so to speak) so that only the circuits with high integrity earthing have their earths in odd places (with each other). You should label the conductors.

High integrity earthing is not "for sensitive equipment" - It is for safety, should an earthing conductor become detached, and then end up with volts floating on it due to the higher than normal earth leakage of attached equipment.

Thanks for clearing my Sunday brain hurt thoughts!

Just someone said to me earlier that "if the earth's are separate at the socket, why doesn't that new CU have 2 "#2's, 3's etc." on the earth bar."

I was flummoxed so shut him up by buying him a bevvy!!

High integrity earthing is not "for sensitive equipment".
I think that's just the way it was put to us at college.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back