High integrity earthing

So as installed the high integrity earthing circuit has a ring CPC, which as far as we are concerned complies with 543-02-09.
If the CPC ring is broken in any point, what function do the two parts of the CPC then perform? Are they still protective conductors? Are they independant of each other?
Ok, they will no longer fully comply with 543-02-09 as they are no longer a ring - but so won't a normal ring if the CPC is broken.
The supposition is that they still give CPC protection until the next test shows the fault, therefore the integrity has been maintained I suppose.

Sponsored Links
What like the rude arrogant person that you've been in posts so far? Dont preach to me.
My case, all along, has been that when 607-02-04(iii) says "two individual protective conductors" that it means "two individual protective conductors", which seems pretty rational and logical to me.

But even if you think it is utterly irrational and illogical to say that "two" does not mean "one", do you really think that I started out saying the opposite, and have now just changed my mind?

Look back through the topic - why would I have asked, so many times, for someone, anyone, to show how Spark123's diagram contained two individual cpcs if I all along I didn't think that was what was required and his diagram did not comply?

Whether people agree with me or you on the number required, you cannot seriously expect people to agree with you that I've changed my mind. so what did you think you'd achieve by pretending I had?

So as installed the high integrity earthing circuit has a ring CPC, which as far as we are concerned complies with 543-02-09.
543-02-09 requires the cpc to be a ring.
607-02-04(iii) requires there to be two cpcs each one an individual ring.

If the CPC ring is broken in any point, what function do the two parts of the CPC then perform? Are they still protective conductors? Are then independant of each other?
Ok, they will no longer fully comply with 543-02-09 as they are no longer a ring - but so won't a normal ring if the CPC is broken.
True.

Which is why when the cpc is of extraordinary importance 607-02-04 says make it bigger or have two of them...

Your argument reminds me of "when is a door not a door" yawn! good night Basn enjoy arguing with yourself.

Sponsored Links
Strange - I thought it was I saying "two" means "two", and other people, including you, postulating that sometimes "two" didn't mean "two"...

10mm ring earth, that would be fun!!
Maybe it is a play on words, the reg says two "protective conductors" as opposed to "circuit protective conductors." If the ring is broken, the conductor is no longer suitable for use as the "circuit protective conductor" as in 543-02-09, however are the two legs still suitable as "protective conductors" complying with 543?

got to pull you up there mate,i would say nearly all sparks(myself included)are 'fully trained sparks' as you put it.
we are in fact discussing the finer points of the reg,which even in the mind of a poster on here who actually wrote the reg,is not exactly clear on what it wants us to do.

Ah there tired - I have'nt read all the posts but is the usual forum problem of housebashers assuming they are fully trained sparks. By the way, I work in data centres 100% of my time and have never had a problem with high integrity earthing.

What method do you use to carry out the high integrity earthing, just out if interest?

Think it was NotHimAgain who was on a committee or something which was involved in writing some of the regs a while ago.
I have never needed to install to these regs on high integrity earthing so it is interesting to know how it is done in the real world, thanks.

Think it was NotHimAgain who was on a committee or something which was involved in writing some of the regs a while ago.
I have never needed to install to these regs on high integrity earthing so it is interesting to know how it is done in the real world, thanks.

I was on the committee in the early 90's. The regulations we produced were unambiguous and are not in dispute in this thread.

The argument here is about the application of high integrity earthing to ring final circuits - using the current 16th edition text for the regulations. Ring circuits are widely used to supply work stations - not data centre racks.

Nothimagain - I think the last time you saw a work station was the early 90's.
All modern offices with raised floors use power track and have done for at least 15 years.

I well aware of the systems currently in use - I design them for a living. I also act as a consultant for major commercial clients and national electrical contractors so don't presume to know what my experience is - you are very definitely way off track.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back