High integrity earthing

I guess by "explain" you must mean "ignore what words are written on the pages of BS7671 and refuse to show in detail how Spark123's diagram contains two individual cpcs because I know that I can't do that".

Sponsored Links
BAS said
In what way was it a misuse?

I don't know how many subjects I have contributed to on here but its only three or four.

I believe only two have involved you - this one, and one on discrimination.

We clearly don't agree on this one but we certainly did not disagree on the discrimination topic, so 50% of subjects in which we have encountered one another have resulted in no disagreement - you see that is just as daft as your conjecture.

BTW we have communicated a number of times on two other forums - generally without any major disagreement - although I did take you to task on one matter.

My apologies - I must have been confused by the fact that 75% of all the posts you had made on this forum were in this topic, and that their consistent theme was not one of agreement with me..

Come on BAS that sort of misuse of statistics is beneath you.
Come on NHA that sort of misreading of posts is beneath you - I said 75% of all the posts you had made on this forum, not 75% of all the topics in which you had posted.

"ignore what words are written on the pages of BS7671 and refuse to show in detail how Spark123's diagram contains two individual cpcs because I know that I can't do that".
Can you show me where in any of my posts that i said what you have quoted? stop inventing phrases to back up your ideals, I have shown you the error of your ways, if you choose not to accept that then thats up to you.

Sponsored Links
Alright BAS have it your own way - as our friends in the USA say - have a nice day.

Can you show me where in any of my posts that i said what you have quoted? stop inventing phrases to back up your ideals,
You're being obtuse again.

I have shown you the error of your ways, if you choose not to accept that then thats up to you.
I will accept that just as soon as you can label Spark123's drawing to indicate which is individual protective conductor #1, which is individual protective conductor #2, and how you could remove one of the two individual protective conductors to leave one individual protective conductor remaining.

Until you do that you aren't really showing me the error of my ways, just that you can't count beyond 1.

OK, I have removed one of the CPCs from the top left hand socket, this now leaves one CPC complying with 543 from it to MET terminal 1. The next socket has a CPC complying with 543 connecting it, via the other sockets in the circuit to MET terminal2.
Each of those cpcs complies with 543-02-09, does it.... :confused:

The CPC did did till I cut throught it!
Now there are two protective conductors each compliantly sized as a single length, but as you correctly say - not as a rfc cpc.

I cannot beleive this has managed to make 17 pages :LOL:

But to use what softus posted a bit back as a base as to what I have to say:

the 16th Edition contains contradictory requirements, viz:

In 607-02-04 said:
...shall have a high integrity protective connection complying with one or more of the following:
(iii) two individual protective conductors, each complying with the requirements of Section 543.
But in 607-03-01 said:
...the circuit shall be provided with a high integrity protective conductor connection complying with the requirements of Regulations 607-02 and 607-04. The following arrangements of the final circuit are acceptable:

(i) a ring final circuit with a ring protective conductor. Spurs...
If you choose to abide by the former paragraph, then a high integrity "connection" (i.e. termination method) is possible only with the use of a separate, additional, CPC.

If you choose to abide by the latter paragraph, then the requirements are met by the ordinary CPC in an ordinary RFC, as long as the terminations are made in a high integrity manner, i.e. never with two cut ends of the CPC under one screw terminal.

So which section of the 16th conveys the intended meaning of The IEE?

Perhaps I'm over simplifying, but isn't 607-4 is telling you that a ring final circuit wired using separate terminals can be taken as complying with 607-2, without any further need to thrash out the exact wording?

Similar situation to where a cable can be assumed to be protected against fault currents, if the same cpd provides protection against overload (and adequatly protects the cable agaisnt overloads) and fault currents and it has sufficent breaking capacity to handle the fault levels at the location at which it is installed, with no need to go into calculating it.

Adam,

Without quoting reg numbers these are saying that a high integrity CPC shall be one or more of:

(a) 10mm single if not mechanically protected

(b) 4mm single if mechanically protected

(c) made up of dual CPC's whether that be cable and conduit, cable and armour braiding or two cables.

(d) Earth monitoring system................

(e) Use of double wound transformer............

607-04 then goes on to say that the minimum CPC csa shall be calculated using whichever is greater from section 543 or that shown above.

So, with respect to a ring final, where 1.5mm csa CPC's are in use you would expect to see four CPC terminations within a socket outlet, two at each end to comply with the regulations, being comprised of CPC 1 contained within the twin and earth and CPC 2 being a separate CPC which therefore allows the wiring to be designated as having a high integrity CPC.

That is my reading of it, for what it is worth.

Regards

I cannot beleive this has managed to make 17 pages :LOL:

But to use what softus posted a bit back as a base as to what I have to say:

the 16th Edition contains contradictory requirements, viz:

In 607-02-04 said:
...shall have a high integrity protective connection complying with one or more of the following:
(iii) two individual protective conductors, each complying with the requirements of Section 543.
But in 607-03-01 said:
...the circuit shall be provided with a high integrity protective conductor connection complying with the requirements of Regulations 607-02 and 607-04.

Perhaps I'm over simplifying, but isn't 607-4 is telling you that a ring final circuit wired using separate terminals can be taken as complying with 607-2, without any further need to thrash out the exact wording?
No - it's telling you that it must comply with 607-02, i.e. it must be one of:

(i) 10mm² single if not mechanically protected

(ii) 4mm² single if mechanically protected

(iii) made up of two individual cpcs whether that be cable and conduit, cable and armour braiding or two cables.

(iv) Earth monitoring system................

(v) Use of double wound transformer............

Sorry, thats what happens when you put the book back on the shelf before replying, read 607-03 for where I wrote 607-04 :oops:

Can you show me where in any of my posts that i said what you have quoted? stop inventing phrases to back up your ideals,
You're being obtuse again.

I have shown you the error of your ways, if you choose not to accept that then thats up to you.
I will accept that just as soon as you can label Spark123's drawing to indicate which is individual protective conductor #1, which is individual protective conductor #2, and how you could remove one of the two individual protective conductors to leave one individual protective conductor remaining.

Until you do that you aren't really showing me the error of my ways, just that you can't count beyond 1.
when you understand what obtuse means then perhaps youll understand what a stupid comment that was from you. :rolleyes:

Then show me that it's stupid.

Show me that you can successfully count beyond one by successfully labelling Spark123's drawing to indicate which is individual protective conductor #1, which is individual protective conductor #2, and how you could remove one of the two individual protective conductors to leave one individual protective conductor remaining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back