New Oil Boiler ~ recommendations sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After approx 23yrs, it's time to replace the current Trianco 28/32 Kw Redfyre. With technology changing a lot in those years I'm looking for recommendations on what's a) a reliable replacement make, b) efficient, and c) easy to install (can hire the flue analyser for setting CO value)

Sponsored Links
I would recommend Grant boilers AND a qualified OFTEC installer, so the installation will be fully compliant with all current regs.

Have one of these, and you won't need to measure CO. Theres so little it's almost zero.

After approx 23yrs, it's time to replace the current Trianco 28/32 Kw Redfyre. With technology changing a lot in those years I'm looking for recommendations on what's a) a reliable replacement make, b) efficient, and c) easy to install (can hire the flue analyser for setting CO value)

Grants good but you need a oftec engineer as your system WILL need to be change and sign off and notification sent

Sponsored Links
You do NOT need an oftec "engineer".

I would have said the same thing because you never had to be anything to work on oil. THIS IS BECAUSE NO-ONE HAS EVER DIED THROUGH OIL LIKE THEY HAVE GAS. But when i had my last inspection he told me that it HAD change and you need to be oftec and when i last did my last course the college said the same thing. I would also like to see some one try and notifi a new boiler through building regs. And it does say on the warranty card on most boiler you need a oftec engineer to commission the boiler or the warranty is void

when i had my last inspection he told me that it HAD change and you need to be oftec and when i last did my last course the college said the same thing.

It is interesting that the advice you were given seems to conflict with advice I obtained by ringing oftec.

I would also like to see some one try and notifi a new boiler through building regs.

It's done all the time on new builds.

And it does say on the warranty card on most boiler you need a oftec engineer to commission the boiler or the warranty is void

Since oftec make the forms available for anyone to buy, who is to know? Manufacturers do not check who did the commissioning, at most they only check a form exists.

If it don't leak don't change it. The economical way to run a boiler is to run it 'til it dies, unless you run a guest house when loss of heating might hurt your business.

If u can stretch to it look at Air source heat pump possible combined with solar panels, anyone can fit thesetheres grants available & itl pay for itself over the yrs, oil is just gonna go up & up & up.
Or if your really flush a ground source heat pump, cheaper to run but ££££, or if the situation suits, ie-adily available logs the new Biomass boilers are very impressive, all these options cost more than an oil boiler but the air source heat pumps & biomass I kno for a fact can be retroifitted to existing system, but pretty sure all can be.

I dare say with price of oil the extra cost will be recouped within 8-10yrs, especially with the grants available.
Definitely worth lookin into as the technology is very good now.

when i had my last inspection he told me that it HAD change and you need to be oftec and when i last did my last course the college said the same thing.

It is interesting that the advice you were given seems to conflict with advice I obtained by ringing oftec.

I would also like to see some one try and notifi a new boiler through building regs.

It's done all the time on new builds.

And it does say on the warranty card on most boiler you need a oftec engineer to commission the boiler or the warranty is void

Since oftec make the forms available for anyone to buy, who is to know? Manufacturers do not check who did the commissioning, at most they only check a form exists.
anyone can go and buy a gas valves for a gas boiler ??? ( but can they fit it) no

I was replying to a specific point, you just merely took parts of it out of context to make a point with no relevance. Bottom line is you DON'T NEED an oftec qualification for anything to do with oil installations. Don't bother making statements about manufacturers warranties, I do warranty work for several manufacturers and provided the installation is not a botch, they will support their boilers.

I was replying to a specific point, you just merely took parts of it out of context to make a point with no relevance. Bottom line is you DON'T NEED an oftec qualification for anything to do with oil installations. Don't bother making statements about manufacturers warranties, I do warranty work for several manufacturers and provided the installation is not a botch, they will support their boilers.

Your not the only one that does warranty work for manufacturers i do aswell. And what your saying is if the boiler as been installed and it dont meet the manufacturers instructions thats ok. Well that may be for your work but not mine, and the manufacturers i do work for Have refused warranty work if the boiler as not been installed correctly

Your not the only one that does warranty work for manufacturers i do aswell.

Then you should understand.

And what your saying is if the boiler as been installed and it dont meet the manufacturers instructions thats ok.

Can you show me where I have said this? I could point you to where I have indicated the opposite.

Well that may be for your work but not mine, and the manufacturers i do work for Have refused warranty work if the boiler as not been installed correctly

It is quite reasonable that they do refuse warranty work if the boiler is incorrectly installed. However, they will usually try to help where it is an identifiable boiler fault, and not a consequence of poor installation.

Once again, bottom line is you DON'T NEED an oftec qualification for anything to do with oil installations.

You will no doubt reply to this, but I have better things do do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back