Oil Boiler - Air Setting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Danesmoor 26/32 oil fired boiler. I have just replaced the burner nozzle and oil pump and have set the oil pressure to 115psi. But, I am not sure at what value the air valve should be set to obtain the correct air:fuel ratio.

Should I be measuring the flue gas CO2 content and, if so, with what ?

Sponsored Links
with a flue gas analyser
you can hire one for £52 per day :eek:
then you will need to go on a course to learn how to use it cost £?????? :eek:

or because you dont know what your doing get a qualified oil engineer in to set the combustion for you correctly, who knows he may service it too for a reasonable charge.

its not a diy job im afraid ;)

I would have thought that CO2 measurement would be a fairly simple job if the equipment, e.g Draeger tube and probe, was available.

I would have thought that CO2 measurement would be a fairly simple job if the equipment, e.g Draeger tube and probe, was available.

do you have one?
I havent used a draeger for years and that was for testing for carbon monoxide.

what we used to use was the bacharach firerite tester that used the absorbition of cabon dioxide into a solution of potasium permangernate contained within a graduated glass vessel connected to a hand aspirator drawing the flue sample through the solution,
then measuring the increase in volume as an indicator of the percentage of CO2 in the flue gas.
and of course you will also require a smoke pump ;)

Sponsored Links
whatdo iknow";p="839011 said:

do you have one?
I havent used a draeger for years and that was for testing for carbon monoxide.

what we used to use was the bacharach firerite tester that used the absorbition of cabon dioxide into a solution of potasium permangernate contained within a graduated glass vessel connected to a hand aspirator drawing the flue sample through the solution,
then measuring the increase in volume as an indicator of the percentage of CO2 in the flue gas.

Many moons ago when I was a lowly lab' technician I used that sort of stuff. Hasn't there been any progress in portable IR analysers ?

="varminthunter";p="839021]Many moons ago when I was a lowly lab' technician I used that sort of stuff. Hasn't there been any progress in portable IR analysers ?

yes of course all singing all dancing they cost hundreds of pounds eff up all the time require annual calibration and you can hire one for £52 from HSS

but you wont know how to use it

you mentioned draeger tubes not me, :LOL:

how do you imagine its a diy job?
its a job for a trained engineer who understands combustion ;)

Well, as a qualified chemist, I thought I may have a clue in how to analyse flue gas if I had access to the right bit of equipment.

I did O level chemistry it doesn't make me a chemist,
and being a chemist doesn't make you a trained commbustion engineer.

Im sure you could learn, but im sure you earn more that a lowly combustion engineer :LOL:

go on put your hand in yer sporran and eek those groats out into the sun light :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back