New Oil Boiler ~ recommendations sought

Got to agree with oilman on this one.

I recently had an Oftec inspection and was told that it was not compulsory to be oftec reg to install oil heating.

You can pay LA to have work inspected and certified.
Not to sure how building control notification works or costs though.
(I do my own on line)

Sponsored Links
No You dont 'have to be' Oftec registered. But its good to be anyway!

Ive been asked on several occasions if I am registered, before the client would permit me to service their boiler.

Just to finish off the bickering, I pulled this off the http://www.oftec.org/government_regulations.htm site:

"Most building work done in your home will be subject to Building Regulations – and that includes any installation or upgrade work done of your heating system. Building Regulations vary depending on where you in the UK, but generally all work must be notified to your local authority. Because your OFTEC Registered Technician is a ‘competent person’ under the Building Regulations, he can self-certify his work and take care of the notification for you. You’ll receive a certificate confirming that the work done meets the relevant Building Regulations. Keep this certificate in a safe place as you may need it when Home Information Packs become mandatory for England and Wales in June 2007."

So, an OFTEC engineer can short-cut the certification by removing the need to notify the LA, but ANYone can do the work provided certification is sought!

If you are not OFTEC registered and the manufacturer has implicitly said that you must be, then boiler warranty is useless.
Or if your local BC says you need to be then how are you going to challenge that?? Human rights court??

Sponsored Links
If you are not OFTEC registered and the manufacturer has implicitly said that you must be, then boiler warranty is useless.
Or if your local BC says you need to be then how are you going to challenge that?? Human rights court??

What a load of rubbish. (That applies to both sentences, separately or together).

If the oftec registered guy makes a mistake resulting in boiler failure then the warranty is still useless. :rolleyes:
And if the non oftec registered guy makes NO mistakes and the boiler fails and the manufacturer has insisted on the oftec guy then thats very convenient for the manufacturer.
Anyone know off any oil boiler manufacturers who make this stipulation so that I may stay clear of them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back