New Oil Boiler time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to start an extension on my house and as I will need to re-locate my current boiler, I wonder if it may just better to replace with a new one. It's a 3 bed semi of approx. 2000 sq ft and the boiler is a 15-20 year old Worcester Bosch 12/14 running 14 rads. The boiler has just been serviced and has no probs (the service sheet says it was running @ 97% efficiency!). The new extension will be approx. 1000 sq ft and I can either use rads or underfloor heating both up and downstairs. Would you think my current boiler is up to the task of heating the extra space or is it time to invest in a new one? If so, what type of oil boiler? thks

Sponsored Links
Dont go for the latest Worcester oil boiler, they are carp and designed by a clown. A pain to install and a **** to service.

Keep your Heatslave as long as you can mate (or until water starts running out of the bottom)..... they all need prv's and aav's replaced from time to time.
Dead easy to work on, all parts available and well priced burner bits too.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Be aware the 97% refers to combustion efficiency.

The actual fuel energy to hot water out is rather lower, perhaps in the mid 80s.

But oil boilers are more efficient than gas boilers so replacing it would only perhaps give you 5-10% improvement in over all efficiency.

With a non condensing gas boiler the efficiency improvement by fitting a condensing boiler can be much higher, from 40% compared with an old cast iron open flued boiler.

The improvement by fully condensing can be up to 12% but to achieve near that the return temperature needs to be closer to 40 C which is more easily achieved with UFH.

I dont much recommend adding UFH to only part of your house as that needs different timing to take account of the thermal mass.

Tony

If you fit a new Worcester at the moment, and get a Gold level Worcester Accredited Installer to fit it, you will receive 6 years warranty.

I know they are more fiddely to install and service than a Grant, but why should that worry the OP.

Oil boilers can be used with UFH; one needs to be especially careful that the return temperature presented to the boiler is not too low, as the main heat exchanger cannot condense.

In fact, Worcester forbid you to connect the unit to systems where the return temperature could fall below 40C once running.

Grant make similar requirements.

All domestic oil jobs have to be condensing boilers now, so the UFH shouldn't be a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back