New or reuse concrete slab for new garage.

TKH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a late 60s house that has a rather sorry looking garage made out of preformed concrete panels, steel framing and once had wooden font and windows.

My plan was to remove the original and build a new single skin brick garage. I have contacted my local authority and they agree with my understanding that the this would be a permitted development as well as not requiring building regulations approval.

So I have 3 options that I would like your opinions on.

My first idea was to simply build a new single skin brick garage that's under 2.5m tall with a single pitch roof on the original concrete slab. I am quite happy with basic building so this would be a relatively simple. However I know nothing about foundations so don't really know if this is sensible. Next door tell me that there old slab was about 6 inches thick and had no footing so the thinking is my one would be the same. Quite a few on the street do appear to have new garages built on the original footings.

The second option is to dig out the original slab. This could be good because the originally slab is a bit small anyhow. Next door to me they simple had a larger slab cast again with no footings. There garage has stood for over 30 years so I am guessing I could just do the same as them?

The third option is from my farther. He is from Australia and a bit mad. He used to build swimming pools for a living ( 50 years ago ) so was happy with concrete. He is telling me that I could simply poor the new slab around/over the original. He says as long as I have at the very least 5cm over the original slab it will be fine. Now as I said he's a bit mad and rather old these days so thought it best to run his idea past a few people before taking it as fact :LOL:

Any thoughts or recommendations are most appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back