New oven cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new oven with a max power usage of 2800W the manufacturer recommends 2.5mm cable and fuse min 15A Max 20A at moment there is a 32A breaker in consumer unit with 6mm cable i am looking to change breaker to 16A RCD at consumer unit and fit 2.5mm HR flex from wall outlet to oven and leave the larger cable between consumer unit and wall outlet am i ok in doing so advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
If it's only 2800W, you could just replace the wall outlet for a 13amp unswitched fused connection unit, and run a 1.5mm2 HR flex from here to the oven.

I am concerned about not following manufactures recommendations which states minimum 2.5mm cable/flex and 15A minimum fuse also it would be handy to have a socket to plug in for the gas hob sparker as there are no plug sockets nearby.
If a fused socket unit was fitted in place of the cooker outlet plate on the wall would i be able to leave the 32A breaker in place in the consumer unit

Last edited:
2800w at 230 volts is over 3000w at the 240volts you probably have. Equates to 12.7 amps. I would not like to run that for any length of time through a 13 amp plug of fused spur.

Your original plan is OK. In fact you don’t really need to change the 32 amp MCB. There is another long thread arguing about this very point recently.

Sponsored Links
I am fitting a new oven with a max power usage of 2800W the manufacturer recommends 2.5mm cable and fuse min 15A Max 20A at moment there is a 32A breaker in consumer unit with 6mm cable i am looking to change breaker to 16A RCD at consumer unit and fit 2.5mm HR flex from wall outlet to oven and leave the larger cable between consumer unit and wall outlet am i ok in doing so advice appreciated

Is it designed for the UK market?

is it supplied with a fitted 13A fused plug?

Have you got an electric hob, or a gas hob?

a fused socket unit

no such thing.

This sounds like a perfect solution, I'd suggect a 20A MCB or RCBO which will allow the use of 4½KW, 3KW for the oven leaving 1½KW for the socket.

2800w at 230 volts is over 3000w at the 240volts you probably have.
As a mathermatical statement, that's correct. However, 'power' quoted by manufacturers nearly always relates to 240V (presumably to make their products sound 'more powerful'), so a quoted 2,800W is probably around 2,800W with the sort of supply voltage that most people have.

As I said manufacturer recommended minimum 15A fuse there is no cable or 13A plug fitted.
A new gas hob will be fitted, previously it was an electric cooker with hot plates.
It is designed.
It is designed for Europe and UK

Had a change of plan since we are short on sockets in kitchen we want to change the cooker DP control switch on kitchen wall to a one with 13A socket, below the worktop where the cooker outlet plate is for oven cable we need to have a socket there also for connecting cable for gas hob ignitor bearing in mind the oven manufacturer recommends minimum 15A fuse and 2.5mm cable, To recap we have a 32A breaker at consumer unit with a 6mm cable to cooker switch on wall above worktop and cooker outlet plate below worktop any advice how i can achieve this safely greatly appreciated

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back