New oven dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a dead oven. It is being replaced under warranty, however the oven is a baumatic. The warranty company can't offer a replacemant baumatic as they have gone into administration. he problem ive got is that I need a like for like oven that can be plugged in using 13 amp plug. ive found a
Zanussi ZOA35502XD. This is under 3kw but information for this oven is very contradicting on the web with regards connection. Can any tell me whether this is fine to connect using a regular 13amp plug?

Thank you in advance

monkey6464

Sponsored Links
Ok. So they recommend that it's not connected with a plug, but is it ok to do so providing it's under 3kw? My last oven was connected with a plug and was fine for over three years till it started playing up.

If the appliance has a factory fitted plug, I would say yes. You must follow the manufacturers instruction (MI), if they so no plug and hard-wired, that is what you do. I know some MIs are not that great and often recommend following BS7671, so by default that would suggest if greater than 2kW, then no plug.
Or if you could link me to the full spec of the oven output, I would be happy to do diversity calculation and workout whether a load of over 2kW would ever be maintained.

Sponsored Links
Reading the spec in the user manual, it gives three options of connection.
*13A plug using 2.5mm2 Buytl flex
*13A fused connection via 2.5mm2 Buytl flex
or
Hard wired.

It indicates that a three pole isolator should be used, a plug would serve that purpose, but generally a fused connection unit or a hardwired isolator would not as they are normally double pole, so that sounds like a little nonsense as a two pole would be suitable, but Zanussi MIs are normally very vague and undescriptive.

So it seems Zanussi are happy to have it connected to a 13A plug, so if they are happy so am I. It does suggest that the flex and plug will need to be purchased and fitted.

Thankyou. It's kind of what I thought, but it's always good to get a second opinion. Thanks for the advice.

Monkey6464

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back