New paint on smooth kitchen unit doors

nad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen units/cupboards are in bright yellow and I would like to paint it over with a more natural colour like pine.

What do I need to do? What steps should I take before tackling this? What ind of paint can I use, etc.?

any advice greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
Are the doors pre finished in laminate or were they painted before?

thanks for your replies.

The doors are pre finished in laminate.

Sponsored Links
Ok...then I would go for this system...

Remove all the doors and draw fronts thats is pratical

Give everything a good wash down to remove general grease from cooking and hands etc

Rub the doors down first with fine wet and dry paper to provide a key

Rinse the doors with clean water....then when they are dry rub the palm of your hand over them to remove any paint film that may be left.

Apply a coat of a melamine primer.....Dulux Super grip is very good.

Sand the surface again.....with very fine abrasive paper...or the wet and dry.

The finish is up to you and your own taste but i would go for two coats of satin or eggshell finish. Water based is ideal because the quicker it dries the less time bits and airbourne dust will have to settle on the surface.

Paint the edges first the then face..to avoid getting a fat edge.

Used a foam radiator size roller to reduce the orange peel effect.

Thin both coats slightly as two thin coats are better than one thick one.

The ammount you thin it by will depend on the brand...B&Q kitchen and bathroom paint is good....but thinner than the Dulux equivelent...which will need a little more water.

After the first coat sand the doors lightly with very fine abrasive paper...and dust of....use you palm again....it works wonders.

I know it appears you should do a lot of sanding bretween coats....but you want the finish job to look as professional as possible and not smoothered in brush and roller marks..

The preperation will pay off beleive me.

That should do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back