New Paint Roller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a new paint roller, I'm going to treat myself to a Purdey. My current roller is worn, so the sleeve wanders off.......

Any Purdey fans here? Is Revolution a good one to go for?

Sponsored Links
My first purdy so far is a white dove, which I really like. Depends on what you're panting though obviously. This was for smooth/semi smooth walls and emulsion.

I use the Purdy Colossus for 99% of my emulsion rolling. I do like their 9" roller frames, in part because I have 3 of their extension poles. The extension poles have a little button that allows you to attach the roller without twisting it on to the pole. It might sound like a first world problem, but it can potentially save you quite a few minutes each day.

Those minutes add up, and by being able to lift it off directly, you reduce the risk of paint falling off the roller as you twist if off.

Not cheap but I like the fact that they are now aluminium, if you leave the roller sitting in a paste bucket, it won't rust.

Thanks guys. Yep, I want one for smooth walls and ceilings, to give a nice flat smooth finish. Will take a look at the Colossus and the White Dove. I'll order a fame and a few sleeves at the same time and get cracking within the next few weeks.

Sponsored Links
I use both the Dove and Colossus.

I prefer the Colossus in most cases when rolling walls with emulsion. It carries a lot more paint than the Dove. When using the Dove with thick emulsions there is a greater risk of excess paint splurging out of the edges of the roller when rolling ceilings with extensions poles (because of the increased likelihood of applying too much pressure).

The Dove is my go to for waterbased eggshell given that it provides a much flatter finish. If used properly the Colossus won't leave a noticeable orange peel finish though.

Unfortunately, over the last 4 years, I find that I have to wash the Colossus sleeves before first using them. If you don't you will see blue fibres in the finish. Previously they could be used straight out of the wrapper. That isn't an issue with the Doves.

From time to time, Purdy do multipacks which include a frame and both Dove and Colossus sleeves. They work out cheaper than buying them individually.

BTW, I seldom ever roll without an extension pole. My shortest is this one

A pole allows you to use two hands to hold the roller and is less tiring than using one hand.

I stuck to the dove because of the flat finish. I have a landing ceiling to do soon so I may consider a clossus. Got myself a nice wooster trade pole, seems a lot better than the shed ones!

Thinking I should treat myself to a double arm roller frame too.

Side point but I'm getting into the 6.5" sleeves, I find quite a few of my rooms are quite 'bitty' - think hallways with multiple doors etc, a good compromise between 4 and 9. (although I'm sure some of you lot use 12 and 15!)

I seldom use the double arm rollers. They are fine if walls are flat (which most are) but when you come across dents they skip over the top of them. The last time I used one was on a large commercial property. I seldom do commercial jobs though, nearly all of my work is domestic. My go to is a 9"

I have never used the 6.5" sleeves. I use their 4" a lot though. Wooster sleeves will fit the Purdy mini roller, and visa versa.. I stick with the 4" because they are more versatile. By that, I mean that I often come across sections where a 6.5" would be too wide.

I do have a Wooster Shurlock pole somewhere. They are good but the Wooster rollers eventually develop a really annoying squeak after a few years. I currently only buy the Purdy poles because of the roller quick attach/release option.

BTW, Wooster do a long arm mini roller, not sure if Purdy do. Useful for painting behind rads that are too dodgy to remove.

I stocked up on those goodies from Paint Well a little while ago. Once I'm don't prepping I can use them!

I'll probably steer clear of the double arm then - I find 9" plenty big enough. So many of our rooms have 'bits' that I spend more of my time eith a mini than full size roller!

Going to get myself one of those wooster speed bucket things I reckon!

I hadn't seen the speed bucket before. I have some snide Pelican buckets but they had a side, rather than top handle. I may well order a Speed bucket at some point. Tnx.

Yeah, looks cool. I looked at the pelican first, but the speed bucket will accommodate the 6.5 rollers too. Best price seems to be paintwell.co.uk alas I don't need to spend £60 to get free delivery just yet!

With Dove and Colossus sleeves for a flat smooth finish on walls, which pile do you use?

AFAIK, you don't get much choice in most UK decorators' merchants. The ones near me only sell the 3/8" nap Dove and the 1" nap Colossus.

1" sounds really long but it is easy to get flat finish with it (obviously not glass fat).

Yeah 3/8 dove. That's what I have been using on and off this week, seems to work well :)

I do like to tinker though, the ice fusion ones from Pro Dec were a firm favourite for a whole - did three rooms in them now I reflect. The paint pickup is too low though, always going back to the paint!

The pickup is better with the dove and the finish isn't too different.

I picked up my Revolution roller today and one of their Power Lock extention poles. Look and feel real good and not really expensive either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back