New patio pointing breaking up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a new indian sandtone patio put down about 3-4 weeks ago.

It was set on a mortar bed but after a short time it looks like the pointing has failed completely.

One of the slabs on the end can be easily lifted out of place.

There is movement in a few slabs.

I have attached some pictures.

Any ideas what caused the failure and how to fix?

Cheers
View media item 80621 View media item 80622 View media item 80623

Sponsored Links
rocking slabs have been inncorectly laid or perhaps walked on to early after laying. There is no fix other than to lift and relay the rocking slabs.

Being able to lift flags off the bedding mortar is not in itself a problem.

The pointing looks like it was too dry or perhaps the very high temperatures have made it crumbly as it didn't hydrate properly and it wasn't kept damp after being installed.

On very warm days the flags need to be pre-soaked and pointing needs to be misted to keep it from drying out too fast

Again no fix for this other than to rake/ grind it out and re-do.

Sponsored Links
A flag laid properly on a full bed of mortar with no voids does not need to be strongly stuck to the bedding. There is no lifting or lateral force on a flag once its pointed.

In my opinion.

Personally i use sbr in the mix to aid adhesion as a belt and braces approach but i don't think there is an issue with flags being very weakly adheared to the bedding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back