New Paving - Puddling / Drainage Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice from those in the know please. Our driveway was recently laid with blocks. It’s a sloping plot with our house being in the middle.

We’ve had some puddling near the door which I believe is because the levels are out in that they don’t slope to acro drains properly.

More importantly a family member has just commented that the acro drains should not be flush to the house and the paving should fall away from the house for around 1 meter where it should meet the downward slope and drain into an acro at that point? He thinks we will get damp issues as and when the drain overflows and also with rainwater hitting the house and running behind the acro.

I’ve seen quite a few photos online and sometimes it is done the way our drive is done and other times the way he recommends. Should it be moved or will this be ok?

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can ignore your family member's opinion, as it's wrong. And a drain should not overflow.

The only requirement is that the surface drains correctly, and there is no standing water - ie dips and puddles.

I think as the driveway is quite steep and there is a lot of surface water he thinks it won’t be enough.

Last edited:
Do those acco drains go to a soakaway or to the mains drainage?
Puddling isn't brilliant, before you go mad lifting it all see how it copes with summer storms (we should get a few)

Sponsored Links
The aco drain is miles below the damp course anyway so pretty much everything in that sentence is wrong

Do those acco drains go to a soakaway or to the mains drainage?
Puddling isn't brilliant, before you go mad lifting it all see how it copes with summer storms (we should get a few)
They go into a new soakaway that has been installed in front of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back