New PIR LED Security Floodlight Sensor not Detecting Anything

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had our 18 month old PIR LED security floodlight replaced with a V-Tac VT-4850 PIR LED security floodlight. The previous light failed under warranty and so was replaced less than 2 weeks ago by the company who had rewired our house and installed it.

The light is above our kitchen door and faces down the back garden. It's controlled by a light switch just inside the kitchen door. The electrician showed us that it worked then left us to fine tune it. However, we have no idea of how to set it up with regards to setting the sensitivity, range, etc. The instructions in the pack were only for the electrical wiring, not consumer usage instructions. We just can't get the sensor to detect anything at all. We're waving at it, jumping up at it, zigzagging in front of it, but absolutely nothing works.

We have a timid cat who is used to having the light come on to illuminate her way down into the garden and she is not going out in the dark because of this problem.

Using the instructions from the old fitting we turned the Time and Sensitivity knobs to minimum and the LUX knob to maximum (i.e. fully turned round to the Sun), then knocked off the light switch for a minute. When we put the light switch back on and the floodlight lit up and went off after about 10 seconds, this obviously being the minimum time setting, so we know that the light is wired up ok and has power to it. We just can't get it to switch on by detecting anything.

The company who fitted it are off on holiday for another week. We feel really stupid that we can't figure this out and would like to see if we can sort it ourselves first before we approach them again. Can anyone provide any guidance on this please? We are tearing our hair out about it.

Sponsored Links
I can't find any instructions - but

Have you still got the sensitivity knob set to minimum? Turn it up ?

Thanks EFLImpudence, but I've tried that. I've had the sensitivity knob at full and halfway and all the other points in between. Same with the Time and LUX knobs. I even switched the lights off at the consumer unit and left it for 5-10 minutes. When I switched it back on the light came on then nothing with the sensor, as before.

I was up on steps there the now and just noticed a tiny blob of silicon on the front corner of the control box, which the sensor globe is part of. Didn't notice it before as I was only making adjustments to the back of the control box, whilst standing inside the kitchen when it was dark outside. I believe that the electrician has either taken a damaged one out of stock (maybe another electrician cracked and mended it with silicon, then put it back into stock thinking it would be ok), or he has damaged it when installing it and applied the silicon himself.

I'm just going to email the company now, but will need to wait for another week before anyone will see it to take action on replacing it. Not a happy bunny being fobbed off with damaged goods :(

Sounds faulty to me, if you isolate the circuit, then put the light switch into the on position.
Set the lux setting fully to the moonlight. Point the sensor directly downwards.
Then turn electric back on, then switch switch to on. The light would normally come on briefly (a few seconds), then go into lux mode. This should then come on during nightlight when activated.
If activation is not detected when directly crossing the sensor's path, it is faulty!

Sponsored Links
SENSITIVITY - Usually set to MAX, reduce gradually if detecting phantom objects.

LUX - Set to SUN if you want it working, day and night
Set to MOON for night use only, sometimes best set slightly lower than MOON to activate at sunset

TIME Set as desired, usually between MIN 10 seconds and MAX 20 minutes.

Therefore normally
SENS towards the MAX
LUX towards the MOON
TIME towards the MAX

BUT FOR TESTING PURPOSES
SENS on MAX
LUX on SUN
TIME on MIN
Always power off and stay clear of beam for ten minutes after powering up.

Many thanks PrenticeBoyofDerry and 333rocky333. I've been out all day and not able to try your suggestions tonight, but will do tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Appreciate it.

My tungsten ones have some sort of function whereby you switch them off and on on the internal switch/ trip and they stay on permenantly (I think)

Can you test the light to see if it actually works?

PrenticeBoyofDerry - I tried your suggestion and the light started flashing off and on all the time for about 10 seconds at a time. It wouldn't stop flashing on and off and I was concerned about my neighbours children, whose bedrooms are to the back, so I switched it off at the wall.

I then tried 333rocky333’s suggestion. I made the adjustments and switched off at the wall. I didn't switch it off at the box. Should I have? This time when I switched it back on it went on for 15 seconds (I timed it) then off. After a short while (but not immediate) it went on and off again, with same timing. I then waited for 10 minutes and it did not come on again so I went outside and walked across the sensor, towards it, waved my arms at it and nothing happened. I switched it off at the wall again, waited about 30 seconds, switched it on again and it went on and off twice, just as before with similar timings. It still didn't respond when I went out on the patio.

Do either of you have any other suggestions or comments?

Last edited:
The one we have is same but different. It's a 6000k. The original security light was installed as part of our entire house being rewired. It failed under warranty so the rewire company have replaced it with the latest one, which is (supposed to be) better than the previous one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back