New pitched roof into existing stone roof!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We live in a very remote area and have been let down badly by the roofing contractors we had lined up. The short version is that I am now going to have to put the pitched roof on our new extension and run it into the existing (creating valleys and the like) myself. The walls have been up for a month and the job really needs completing.

I have done some building work before and trained as a bricklayer years ago but have never done any roof work and I am quite nervous about the whole thing but don't have any options other than flying someone in which isn't in the budget!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or signposting to any sources of information.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am now going to have to put the pitched roof on our new extension and run it into the existing myself......................but have never done any roof work and I am quite nervous about the whole thing

I bet you are!

I build extensions from start to finish, less plumbing and electrics and always find building the roof structure a challenge.

I have many years (29) experience, i have loads of power tools including a big De-Walt slider-compound fella and have built just about all (common) styles. I would say the roof (timber structure) requires the greatest degree of thought and involves plenty of math's including a bit of trig' and pythagoras. :eek:

No wonder you are papping yersel' i would be too!

We will try and talk you through it though. Are the wall plates bedded yet? are you building a cut roof or are you using trusses?

Sam,
With no disrespect to my young very knowledgeable mate Noseall, who is one of the modern self confessed affluent builders. we don’t understand them sexy names like trigonometry or that bloke who came from Egypt :D :D

Our system is much easier, we have a ball of string and bit of chalk, and providing there is a tree nearby to sight against or at a pinch, a cloud passing overhead, then it is all systems go. We have an axe, sledge hammer and two handled logging saw. When we turn up on site, its like a blast from the past. :D :D

Only winding yer up nose. One of the few pleasures in life left to me. :(

Joking aside Sam, you state that you are tying into existing stone roof. What is approx size and thickness of existing stone tiles. Are they what I think may be, 15to20mm thick solid stone laid in diminishing courses up roof. If so they can weigh in at up to 100kg ms.
Two other questions. Do you know existing pitch? Overall span of new roof over wall plates?

As Noseall has said, feel sure someone hear will help you out.
old un

Noseall and theoldun, thanks so much for your responses. And for the offer of taking time out to talk me through it. I'm just about at wall plate height with the block work. I'm back in this afternoon and if its OK with you I'm going to try and upload a pdf of the drawing and answer your questions as fully as I can.

Afraid there isn't one tree on the island but clouds we have a plenty so the jobs a good un. Just to make it more interesting if I need so much as a screw its two ferries or five days with screw fix so you guys bare with me if it seems to be taking for ever.

On the plus side I'm building a diving centre next door and there isn't a scrap of wood in the design so that gives me something to drop back on to.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
HI Lads

Couldn't up load the pdf but I'll take some pics of progress to date.

The drawings show a cut roof with the ceiling joists running 275mm up the rafters as the croft/extension eaves are at 2m. The wall plates are 5.1m apart and the extension comes out 3.8m from the existing croft.

I'm not sure of the existing pitch but I guess I could work it out using that trigonometry carry on (or a plumb line and protractor) :D

The existing roof is Caithness style varying between 25 - 45mm slightly smaller towards the top but not much.

The drawings show a flush eaves but, due to the low eaves level, the door head is only just under the wall plate and I'll have to form a soffit to hit the existing gutter.

Thanks again for your time

Quote. Couldn't up load the pdf but I'll take some pics of progress to date.

The drawings are going to be very important. Try again.

Quote. The drawings show a cut roof with the ceiling joists running 275mm up the rafters

Do you mean the ceiling joists are bolted to rafters 275mm above wall plate to give you sufficient storey height. If so this is called either raised tie or extended rafter. Just to recap, you say it is cut roof, with 5.1m overall the plates. If you could only get trusses Sam, roof would have been piece of p**s.
What are length of ceiling joists in raised tie position? Scale them of comic.
Must have pitch of existing roof to avoid unequal pitch valleys. Use, short level, adjustable bevel and protractor, or do it my way, stand outside and study stars for two nights.

Quote. The existing roof is Caithness style varying between 25 - 45mm slightly smaller towards the top but not much.

Thought this might be the case, thats why I asked the question. Have you got them yet? Are they new or reclaimed, or will they be new or reclaimed? If they are the ones I think, some of them old eaves brutes used to measure in at 1metre x800mm

Don't know why arch did not lift plate level up. Want photo of existing croft and roof where you are springing into.

Regards. old un.

You'll have to convert the PDF's to jpgs somehow. Either download a bit of screen capture software such as http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mwsnap.html, capture the image withe the software and save the image as a jpg or convert the PDF's to jogs with an online converter such as http://convert.neevia.com/index.aspx (although I find these online converters somewhat unreliable tbh. At a push you may be able to take a photo with the camera on the 'macro' setting and upload that to your gallery. There are probably other (better) ways to convert them but these are fairly simple methods.

Don't know why arch did not lift plate level up.
Surely this would mean higher ceilings (than existing), building the blockwork higher, showing more brickwork externally, thus pushing the ridge higher, etc, etc.

As said, though, a raised tie roof truss system would solve all issues, though there are a handful and you still need to b.m. the trusses onto the wall plate.

The bracing detail for raised tie trusses is a joke. :rolleyes:

Converted them to JPegs and they seem fine but I can't open them from the images folder, anyone else had any luck?

Cheers

just open them in photo shop if you have it and resave as jpg ..takes seconds.

any problem email the pdfs to me and i'll do it.

Have converted pdfs to JPegs no problem. They are under the 6000kb allowance for up loading to here so I have no idea why they won't upload. Open fine on the PC.
If any one wants them i could e mail pdfs and JPegs

Cheers all

Painful it is :confused:

My email is in my profile. Am pretty busy today though so may not get a chance till later. Re post in this thread if you send them as its not an everyday email address. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back