New plaster cracking - Advice needed.

A

armour

Hi all, This May I had a plasterer in to replaster the walls/ceiling of my bathroom. It seemed OK so I paid him off, tiling & decorating 3 weeks later. - Now 5 months later large cracks have appeared in the ceiling and walls. I'd like some idea as to the possible cause(s) of the cracks before I confront the plasterer. Can anyone help? [/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi all, This May I had a plasterer in to replaster the walls/ceiling of my bathroom. It seemed OK so I paid him off, tiling & decorating 3 weeks later. - Now 5 months later large cracks have appeared in the ceiling and walls. I'd like some idea as to the possible cause(s) of the cracks before I confront the plasterer. Can anyone help? [/img]

Where are the cracks, (position and background) and what did he use (skim, or bond and skim, sand and cement etc)

As stated, much more info needed & some pics. might help. Were there any cracks there before? Are the new cracks in the same place? Do you mean large as in long or large in width? Was any new plasterboard used? Do the cracks coincide with any joins in the plasterboard? What preparation was done before the re-skim?

Sponsored Links
The vertical crack looks to me as if a joint in a plasterboard wall has cracked. The crack in the ceiling, (which you say it was previously artexed) might have been there all the time, and he never noticed it, and just plastered over the artex, and the crack came through again.
Is the ceiling lath and plaster?,, and was any work carried out above it (loft/roofspace or whatever), after it was plastered?

Roughcaster.

If he done both walls and ceiling he SHOULD have scrimed the joints in both. As i see it he did not scrim the joints therefore that is why you have the cracks in the plaster work. If this is the case call him back to put it right. :( S/S

The odds are the ceiling is knackered - that's why it was artexed in the first place. It's continuing to crack as plaster isn't flexible. He'll just say that it isn't his problem. You may as well just fix it up yourself with caulk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back