New plaster - When can we put vinyl paint on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been around in a circle a few times following old threads but I still need a bit of help.
We have had an extension and refurb and all the walls have new plaster. I am in the process of giving it a mist coat with watered-down matt and then a second coat of matt.
The plaster looks dry and is between 3-8 weeks since it was plastered (depending on which room)
My question is how long do we have to leave it until putting vinyl paint on it? From what I understand this will stop the plaster from being able to dry out any further
This is mainly for the kitchen and bathrooms although we will want to put tough paint on the walls at some point too.
Any quick advice really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Many years ago, I was told I could matt emulsion my fresh plaster, but anything else, such as gloss/eggshell/wallpaper was best left for at least 6 months. Maybe things have changed over the years. My plaster was called 'Board Finish', if that makes any difference. I'm talking over 20 years ago so maybe modern plasters are more durable.

Thanks, conny. A few people say plaster should ideally be left for 12 months which isn't practical in most cases and others say when it dries pink mist coat then put final paint over that being whatever you want.

Yes the minimum was 6 but better to leave 12 months if possible. Obviously you had to wait until the plaster was dry before even mist coating.

Sponsored Links
I think we will do the house in mist coat and 2 coats of white Dulux matt Trade. In the 2 shower rooms ill put some bathroom paint on the ceilings as i guess the steam will cause more damage to the plaster than sealing them. Obviously, we have fan/windows open etc to minimise.
Then we will go back and do the rest of the house room by room over the next 12 months in chosen colour and tough paint where required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back