NEW PLASTIC GUTTERS - BALLPARK PRICE:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

I’m thinking to replace the cast iron gutters in my (semi-detached with driveway) property to the side (about 30’ long) and to the rear (about 18’ long) with plastic gutters and would like a rough idea of costs (to see if I can afford it!). The rear guttering is easily accessible from a flat roof extension.

I’ve never seen this job done – for the side gutter is full scaffolding required or maybe a tower? Is it a one-man job or more likely two? And is it a (long) one-day job or more likely two days? I’m guessing materials are the least of the costs and probably well under £100?

I will be grateful for advice on the above and a ballpark price.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Lol

Materials will be a bit more than £100,

I couldn't comment on labour, but I would advise going onto Screwfix or such like and pricing up what you will need so you have a vague idea on costs.

If you have plenty of access they will probably use their own mobile scaffold tower.

I'd say a couple of days work for 2 guys aswell

Really you should budget a couple of grand, or do it yourself.

This is very rough estimates and ball parks, and depending on area people's rates can be quite different.

Surprisingly plastic isn't very cheap like people like to think

Thanks for that sxturbo. I'm not sure if you do this for a living? - but I know the various fittings and brackets soon add up although the basic gutter is about £3.50/metre and I'm talking about 15 metres. It's not the most complex job but it seems guys with just moderate skills expect £150-200/ day. If it was a couple of grand I'd have a heart attack so the job wouldn't get done anyway. But if I survived I'd buy an ally tower, do the job myself, then sell the tower.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that mikeey84. Yes, I know cast iron is heavy! - hence probably a 2-man job unless cut in short lengths? Scaffoding or a tower is obviously essential which most DIYers don't possess. Scaffolding went up next door on the side of house (for rendering) in about an hour and came down even quicker but unsure of the cost. A firm doing gutters/ roofing would probably have the equipment and do it themselves.

You can cut it quite easily with an angle grinder, but with 2 people and some scaffolding it will be much quicker.

You can hire towers, or even buy them on ebay. Is diyable, as long as your careful

Thanks again, sound advice. I've got a very practical son who would help but he's extremely busy just now. I've seen guys work who know what they're doing - I'm fairly sure they'd have the old stuff down by about midday and new stuff up by the end of the day. Plastic gutter as you know comes in long lengths and clips together easily and quickly - I'd be surprised (and shocked!) if quoted a 4-figure sum.

Not forgetting your facia could do with painting white the old guttering is down or even replacing but don't worry I'm sure the lads would do it all in their tea break! (y)

Andy

Thanks Andy, not sure if you're being constructive, pessimistic or what? I don't enjoy the luxury of fascias at the side or rear, the gutter brackets are fixed to the sides of the rafters. Nonetheless, my property was built in the 1930s and as sound as any built today. You also forgot to mention any dodgy roof tiles which could be good for another couple of grand's work.

It's good to know that not everyone is suffering during the pandemic - my local roofing and guttering guy is booked through until December! It could also be an indication that he's good and reliable which I believe he is.

are you looking to replace with plastic , that looks like cast iron, ???
I used a aluminium equivalent, when i DIY replaced all my Gutter at the back corner of a 1904 property.
I had scaffolding erected, which was expensive about £400 many years ago.
But it was there for 6weeks and i took all the old stuff down , sorted all the facia (which you dont have ) and repainted that , sorted a few of the slate tiles out , and refitted - cant remember the cost of the material , but remember it was quite expensive for the cast iron look.

recently repaired my daughters house guttering 1970's wickes plastic ( fortunately it had wickes on the moulding and they still make the same size
Much cheaper and easier to do

Thanks Andy! - but I'm the world's most reasonable guy. Like most, presumably you too, I don't like being ripped off or paying way over the odds eg £80 for a local guy to do a 15 minute boiler "service" and mainly poking a probe in the flue. If I could do 3 or 4 of those in a day I'd be very happy (and quite well off). Are you by any chance a boiler engineer?

Thanks ETAF, very interesting and quite a job - I was actually thinking simple plastic. But the more I think about it, the less I'm keen! The existing cast iron has some backfalls and a couple of leaks which are probably all fixable. And if/when I sell up I'll take Andy's advice and knock several thou off the price to allow for new gutters (and possibly painting the fascia).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back