NEW PLASTIC GUTTERS - BALLPARK PRICE:

Sponsored Links
Hi Andy -
I don't really see the point of a photo, it's cast iron (half-round) gutter as I described. I'm not going up a ladder to give you a close-up!

Thanks mrrusty -
I took a look at that site - it does seem a fair bit more expensive? I think I'd be quite happy with plastic which many neighbours have chosen.
But I'd value a second opinion from anyone on a ballpark figure for the work - a couple of thousand seems a bit OTT to me?

Regards.

it does seem a fair bit more expensive

It is more expensive, but if you are paying someone to fit it, it takes the same amount of time. I just personally hate plastic guttering. The thermal expansion on longer runs is huge, and eventually the joints always seem to creep apart. And the dark colours fade. (thermal expansion of uPVC by the way is around 0.07mm/degree/m, so a 10m run of gutter will from winter to summer (say -5 to +30 degrees) expand 35 x 0.7 x 10 = 24.5mm - about an inch.

Sponsored Links
and eventually the joints always seem to creep apart.
Thats the issue i have now with plastic guttering which had replaced in 2017 along with facia's , soffits and some roof work.
Previous house was Cast iron gutters & as mentioned I replaced with Ali
but now i have 2 lengths which move. on one side , which is in sun most of day, does creep and leak, often and needs resetting so far about 3 times !!!!, only lucky its a bungalow and i can easily reach and do on a set of steps
I think, the lengths have been cut maybe 1/2" short , so i will probably put another join bracket & piece in
Only saying this so you are aware , i had professional roofers in, highly recommended and had seen previous work, who on the whole did a good job, but for this one section.

Thanks for all the info - there's more to guttering than meets the eye!
I believe with plastic gutters some allowance is made for expansion/contraction on the fittings and of course with a 10m length there would be 4 fittings including the ends. I'm not sure if this allowance is a relatively new idea?
Still waiting for another ballpark figure! - I would've thought it's a fairly common job with 1930s properties? I also hope I'm not seriously out of touch with current prices! I'm getting a quote soon and will let you know.
Thanks again.

I believe with plastic gutters some allowance is made for expansion/contraction on the fittings and of course with a 10m length there would be 4 fittings including the ends. I'm not sure if this allowance is a relatively new idea?
Yep, theres a line on the joins where the gutter should be, unfortunately as i say mine are cut about 1/2" short , and although over the rubber seal just , they do expand and leak
I plan to just add a joining part, when i get round to it

Last edited:
I wonder if the cast iron gutters will be original? 90yrs service out of them is pretty good value :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back