New porch roofing work rough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have had a porch built with a flat roof cut into the existing pitched roof. The walls are damp externally so I took a quick look at the roof and thought it looked rough.

The dampest part is to the left of the front door. The builder has come back and squeezed a tube of silicone in!

Looks like the roof membrane has been left to sit on top of the felt which seems odd as it's messy and will just rot. I'm not sure what the black plastic is underneath.

Any thoughts on the quality of this job and how it can be improved?

IMG_20191228_160645.jpg
IMG_20191228_160721.jpg
IMG_20191228_160725.jpg
IMG_20191228_160738.jpg
IMG_20191228_160745.jpg
IMG_20191228_161053.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wtf? Love the silicone Bodge
Never done this detail myself but yeah, deffo looks bad

Celeronmanuk, good evening.

As all above???

Has any money been paid to this "Builder" ?

Suggest you consider with holding payment [if possible] until the "Builder" sorts out this really poor bodged job.

I have the impression that your "builder" is simply that and not a roofer???

Ken.

Sponsored Links
The black plastic is a type of felt too. None of that should be showing.

I would have a company come and do a report for you because if it's left like that there will be more leaks further down the line.

I've circled the detail that I can't see how it can be weathered properly with what has currently been done. I can't see what stops water going behind that tile and in to the eaves. The wall below is sopping wet and going green.

IMG_20191228_161053b.jpg

The silicone perhaps even making this all worse by blocking the previous exit.

The black plastic is a type of felt too.

Do you think that was already present, or has been added? I wasn't able to do too much poking around at the time and don't live near.

Do you think that was already present, or has been added? I wasn't able to do too much poking around at the time and don't live near.

I would think it was already there, it is an old felt that isn't produced anymore (I think)

What the builder should have done is, remove the lowest rows of tile, fix a lead flashing and then re-dress the under slate roof felt on to the top surface of the lead.

Ken.

Silicone doesn't bond with felt does it.
The solvent in the silicone dissolves the bitumen in the felt.

Builder/ roofer?
Bottom course of tiles need removed around perimeter and felt torched on up the slope of the abutment.
Lead detailing to valley, area of front hip and r/h side of roof.
You need a proper flat roofing bod.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back