New PVC doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They all seem to have a quadrant moulding edge that you can't fit a contact to. Other than using a PIR - how are you guys getting around it?

Sponsored Links
Last few I have done I have managed to get a surface contact within the channeling (top or side), if you see what I mean, there is quite a lot of room.So you see nothing when the door is shut.If room is tight I remove the magnet from its box , and glue it.

stick it on with blutac first and with heavy duty contacts it usullly works (which is where the blutac comes in, you can move it to make sure it works before you drill the door)

Have you actually seen the new doors? Saw 3 last week and all had about 5mm on the extreme edge - not like the square edge of a few years ago or even the angled bevel. No room to drill.

Sponsored Links
i confess , i have not seen the latest doors, but with any pvc door i always try it first, using hevy duty contacts means i can put the magnet further away from the outside edge

I've fitted the magnet part on the rounded bit of the door, and the reed part on the frame so they sort of over lap each other.

I'll do a drawing, that would be easier.

Will the customer accept it? Spending a grand on a door and then having something stuck on the moulding? I charge them £20 for a PIR and they seem well happy.

Perhaps going back to something like an old fashioned pressure mat infront of the door would be a good compromise?

The only real advantage of using a door contact is for those customers which like a chime on their doors.

It might be wanted for a quicker confirmed alarm on some systems, but not really for a normal domestic system.

A through beam ( break beam ) detector across the door detects the door being opened. It also detects someone coming in after removing the glass from the door without having opened the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back