New rad and valves but can't move pipes! (pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've gone from imperial to metric rads and replaced the valves however one end is very wonky and is not watertight, there's a drop of water every now and again although tue valves haven't even been opened yet.

I'm guessing I need to straighten the pipe as the rad is as far against the wall as it can be. It also looks bloody terrible.

Any ideas? I was thinking about trying to bend it with a spring or cut it and join another bent piece on so it sits nicely I to the valve.

There's not much play in it and the laminate is down now so I'm in a pickle.
Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Take the radiator off and put some spacers behind the brackets, or.
Is that new skirting board you've fitted? It looks like it's a bit thick and pushing the pipes out. You could channel a little out of the board to allow the pipe to sit in the right position. If you're careful it would look fine once painted.

I am guessing that it will be a pig of a job to remove the quadrant and the skirting as I see it.

I agree with sooey that the best solution is to take the rad off and then pack the brackets out so that the rad sits flush with the vertical tails.

That way you only have to undo the tails, pop the rad off then remove and replace the brackets once the packing is behind them.

Less work that way and a better solution.

IMHO anyway!

B

I would use a plunge cutter like a fein multimaster or bosch up either side of the pipe to the required depth , and a small wood chisel behind the pipe to chisel out the channel, easy peasy, if he's got one of them. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I would use a plunge cutter like a fein multimaster or bosch up either side of the pipe to the required depth , and a small wood chisel behind the pipe to chisel out the channel, easy peasy, if he's got one of them. :mrgreen:

And the important word is ................ IF!!!!

;)

Well if he hasn't got one of them he could run a sharp chisel up either side of the pipe like an old chippy would, or even a stanley knife would do it.

I agree sooey but I still think it would be easier (and ultimately look better) to remove the rad and pack the brackets especially as he has just replaced the rads.

Trying to get a neat channel using whatever tools he has to hand will still be difficult IMHO but it will be down to the OP to decide.

:)

The reason I was suggesting chopping it out was because the pipe looks as though it's being pushed out of vertical by the skirting board, that might just be my eyes though.
If the pipe is vertical spacers would do it as you say.

The end of pipe tail look a bit damaged and distort. I would cut back and, with a bender, bend a little on new pipe and solder it with straight coupler together and reconnect to valve.

Daniel.

Thanks for the replies.

I've put another angle in showing that the pipe isn't near the skirting. I think it seems that the rad tail is too far out and I've tried to connect the lockshield and obviously bent the pipe causing a leak.

Would I get away with bending the pipe in situ or am I going to have to go and buy a spring, some 15mm pipe and a connector? I'm pretty sure I've ruined the top of the pipe.

The skirting, floor and scotia are all new and can't be moved. :(

Cheers

That new pic tells a different story so ignore anything about packing the brackets. As you say, the issue is that the new rads don't line up with the old tails and are further out from the walls. Chasing out the skirting isn't going to help either.

:(

So from what I've read I should be able to drain it down then try to bend it straight with a spring or am I looking at chopping it and adding a new piece that's bent already as I can't can't find any pre bent joints (not even sure if they exist?).

Thanks again.

Do you have any play up and down ? If you do, cut the pipe where its kinked, put a new olive in and nip the valve onto the pipe (don't fit it to the rad at this time as it'll be kicked). Now put your fingers behind the pipe near the bottom and push the valve back towards the skirting so it sits central to the rad (this is called a man's bend). Now slacken the bottom nut off slightly, connect to rad and tighten. Those valves are notorious for having a small slip by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back