Valve on pipe too low to reach rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm fitting a new rad in a room and long story short the valve on one side isn't reaching the corresponding adaptor. The rad is level according to my spirit level - one side matches up to the valve on the feed pipe fine, but for some reason the return pipe is a bit on the short side and the valve can't get to the adaptor. Pic below. There's a good 10mm difference. I can't move the brackets on the wall any further down without having to re-drill the holes.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3ckAEsxBqnI/UhARGLNtthI/AAAAAAAABa4/2nOZgqvA7zU/s1600/IMAG0758.jpg

Is there any way of extending the pipe up a bit? It doesn't move from its current position - there's no play in it vertically.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
to elaborate on what petit said

cut the pipe lower down and then extend it to where you need it
as take the other side fits

Id love to hear the long story.

Assumptions are the mother of all fookups ;)

Assuming one of the parts of the long story are a figment of my imagination. Remove the rad. Cut the other pipe to match your short one and rehang.

This time double check before drilling.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the pipes dropped in the floor a tad and needs pulling back up ;)

to elaborate on what petit said

cut the pipe lower down and then extend it to where you need it
as take the other side fits

Thanks - just with a normal straight solder-on coupling?

Perhaps the pipes dropped in the floor a tad and needs pulling back up ;)

See I thought that, it seems odd for the pipes to not match any more but maybe the old rad wasn't level. Anyway I did try pulling it up but like I say it doesn't budge. Thanks anyway though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back