Valve and Radiator distance apart - how to connect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had to replace an old radiator with a new rad which as luck would have it is smaller than the original. The floor is laminated so moving the pipes would have involved a bit of messing around. Got a couple of rad tail extending thingies, but this still left me short.

The rad has now been hung and I have connected the (original) right hand side valve to the new rad. Connected this valve because there isn't as much play as the other valve. The left valve is now about 13 cm from the radiator.

I could cut the pipe down and with the use of a couple of elbows and a horizontal and vertical pipe add a new valve closer to the rad.

But I was wondering if there was anyway of utilising the existing valve without the need to cut the pipe, and having +a length of copper with the appropriate fittings to connect the valve to the rad nut.

The question is, do such 'appropriate' fittings exist. Incidentally I saw this on Wickes' website:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/424979

Can this be used to connect to the rad at one end? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Yes it can be used but will look rough unless hidden by curtains

you can get radiator extensions up to 40mm. Several of these joined together will do it but may look 'silly' :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response guys. The left hand corner of the rad is towards a corner of the room, so it will probably be hidden by furniture, or ar least not too visible unless you get down on your hands and look for it. So, rough or silly look fittings aren't an issue.

Can you daisy chain rad extensions? Are you referring to the ones you can get off Screwfix's website?

Tom

I don't deal with screwfix so don't know what they sell:rolleyes: Ask for rad extensions at local Plumb Center or equivalent ;)

I would(if not too on show) fit a compression version of the wickes item (in chrome if you like) with a short piece of copper in between.
You will need a spare nut and olive and if its an old style valve a female iron in brass 1/2" 15mm.
Not pretty but just put a plant in front of it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back