New rad install and fixing pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am about to install / move a rad, but from when we move into the house over a year ago the pipework to the rads downstairs make a clicking / tapping noise. The pipework comes down the walls behind dot and dab plaster boarding.

I've read a bit about this around the noise is likely to be coming from either where it bends round the timber or from the interface between the plaster adhesive and the pipe.

My question is what is the correct way to install the pipes to ensure I don't have the clicking noise? I am assuming I will need to follow the pipes back up the wall and channel out then install new ones. How do I ensure I done have the clicking?

Thanks
Ant[/wiki]

Sponsored Links
clicking noise is likely to be down to contraction and expansion.
I would suggest that you clip the pipes for 15mm copper, no less than 1.2m horizontal and 1.8m vertically. Fix securely but not tight, allow for the movement and avoid setting in dabs. Bending the pipe, rather than 90 degree fittings will also help.

Where it passes over joists noggins etc sleeve it with the thin felt insulation to stop rubbing as it expands.

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back