New rad not warming much.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large living room (move into the house about 18months ago) that never got overly warm. As part of a plan to address that we wanted to increase the heat being delivered. Bought and got fitted 2 radiators (4 column rads) that replaced the one large panel rad that was there. It allowed us to increase the BTU's by about 50%. We were aware and was concerned about whether the heat could reach the rads in a way that they could deliver, given that they are at the end of the pipe run and now 16 rads are on that run. The 15 before the extra one appeared to all be heating fine (bar a little sludge in the system - old system).

Combi boiler in situ and magnetic filter added at same time as the 2 new rads. One large 4 column rad (1400x600H) replaced the large panel one and a much smaller one (1000x300H) was added to the other end of the room under a window.

With the heating on for 2/3 hours the smaller one (I believe it's the last one on the run) got hot all over (worked as I expected) but the larger one barely heated beyond luke warm. I would describe it as luke warm along the top and sides and cold near the middle and at the bottom. Also noted that one of the pipes (think it's the return - has the lockshield on it) was always cold. Both pipes on the smaller one were hot like the rest of the house.

I wasn't sure if something was wrong with the rad/the install etc or if it just was a struggle given the amount of rads on the system being fed by the pipework as it got further from the boiler. (3 storey house and with a rad in the loft, rads are on 4 floors effectively).

I bled all rads (no air in any) and intended to spend some time on trying to balance the system. Just getting round to it now. I thought I would try the following first.

I closed all valves on all the rads in the house bar the large one (TRV at full and Lock fully open) that wasn't heating much. Heating on. Flow pipe (assuming anyhow - I don't have much knowledge really) was hot within seconds (other pipe - lockshield - remained cold). Rad was heating within a minute or so and 8-10 minutes later the rad was piping hot bar the centre bottom area. By around 13-15 mins even that area (which was always ice cold) was too hot too hold your hand on. The (ass.uming) return pipe was also hot after 10 mins or so and before now it was always cold even with the heating on for 2 hours

So - with limited knowledge - is it safe to assume all is well with that radiator - no faults and that this is definitely a balancing issue?. If so I am very happy to work away at balancing the system as best as possible to help that rad perform better. Am i expecting too much?

Sorry for such length - but I always feel it is best to provide as much as I know incase something is important that I'm unaware of. I very much appreciate the time anyone takes in reading and responding to this. I'm fairly competent in various other areas but heating and plumbing was always a stretch for me - even basic understanding of how it worked. I welcome any information, hints/tips, advice and reassurance.

Sponsored Links
and that this is definitely a balancing issue?

Sounds like it. If the radiator heats up with the others off then there is nothing wrong with the radiator or pipework per say.

Sponsored Links
I left the LS valves in the offending room fully open. I then turned all the others on 1/4 turn just to see what happened (Left the TRV's at max settings). All those rads on the same floor as the boiler heated very quickly and the other rooms fairly quickly. I don't have the time yet to do fine adjustments to balancing but it seems even 1/4 turn is too much on the rads closest to the boiler.

The offending rad is probably a little warmer and more quicker than before, but ideally I need to get it warmer still and a little quicker still. Hopefully shutting of the LS a little more on the quicker ones will help to achieve that and eventually when I'm happy with the balance I can turn down the TRV's. Most of those rooms upstairs are too hot.

Just one thing a lot of the column rads have some sort of baffle fitted in them so flow has to be on correct side.
Tend to be very sluggish if piped up wrong
Hopefully just a balancing issue.

Just one thing a lot of the column rads have some sort of baffle fitted in them so flow has to be on correct side.
Tend to be very sluggish if piped up wrong
Hopefully just a balancing issue.

Was aware of that, so mentioned to the plumber. Hopefully it's done OK. When I shut all the rads of apart from that one it heated very quickly and fully. Would that then say it has been fitted to the right side

Afraid to say I've sorted systems where rads were wrong way round but worked OK on there own.
Taller rads seem to suffer most.

Yikes. Any simple way to tell if it's wrong way round? How do you know or find out

No easy way some have small stickers on to indicate flow sometimes instructions tell you to look to see where baffle is to check before fixing.
Quite a few models are capable of been fitted upside down!
Try balancing first if worst comes to worst rad will have to be drained.

No easy way some have small stickers on to indicate flow sometimes instructions tell you to look to see where baffle is to check before fixing.
Quite a few models are capable of been fitted upside down!
Try balancing first if worst comes to worst rad will have to be drained.

Thanks for the headsup. Had a look - the TRV is fitted on what I think is the flow side (that pipe heats up first). I can see that there is an extra fitting between the valve and radiator on the flow side.....Flow restrictor? is that the same thing? Anyhow that extra piece between the rad and TRV is not on the LS side (return I think). The small rad in the same room (same rad - just smaller) is set up the same way and works very well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back