New Radiator advice please.

Is it as hot to touch as all your other radiators ?

yes, its hot but the older rads in the house would be hotter to the touch, thats what made me think its not just as hot to touch, because its aluminium.

Sponsored Links
Close every other radiators TRV ( or wheel head,if no TRV) don't touch their lockshield valve. See if aluminium rad now gets hotter.

Close every other radiators TRV ( or wheel head,if no TRV) don't touch their lockshield valve. See if aluminium rad now gets hotter.

OK, what do you mean by..... don't touch their lockshield valve ?

Im busy at the mo but I will see what pipe warms up first from cold a bit later.

Thanks all.

Radiators have two valves ,the one that you use ,the TRV, to select a temperature or turn it off. The other valve is the lockshield ,and you don't touch it ,because it is set when the system is commissioned to a specific ,partly open ,position

Sponsored Links
Radiators have two valves ,the one that you use ,the TRV, to select a temperature or turn it off. The other valve is the lockshield ,and you don't touch it ,because it is set when the system is commissioned to a specific ,partly open ,position

OK I see, thanks.

OK, I will try that, the new rad heats up OK but it dosen't warm the bathroom up as much as the old rad I first had in.

I was thinking its because this new one is Aluminium.

Vertical radiators are not nearly as effective as conventional ones, even when working as designed.

yes, its hot but the older rads in the house would be hotter to the touch, thats what made me think its not just as hot to touch, because its aluminium.

I would guess at it being the other way around - aluminium has higher thermal conductivity than steel, so I would expect it to feel hotter to the touch.

I would guess at it being the other way around - aluminium has higher thermal conductivity than steel, so I would expect it to feel hotter to the touch.

Oh, your prob right, I wouldn't have known, thanks. I'm going to turn a few rads off up stairs to see if this new Rad in the upstairs bathroom warms up more, with door closed.

Thanks.

Yes, just there now, looking at the rad, the right hand side pipe warmed up first.
And there lies your problem, according to the link you posted , flow should be at the left hand side, if a manu specifies an orientation of pipes it means it has a baffle , in your link they call it a (Block flow) those pipes will need swapping over

And there lies your problem, according to the link you posted , flow should be at the left hand side, if a manu specifies an orientation of pipes it means it has a baffle , in your link they call it a (Block flow) those pipes will need swapping over

There you are... Is that still possible now its installed, without any wercking?

So even if i did get a new rad, it wouldn't have made any difference.

There you are... Is that still possible now its installed, without any wercking?
yes of course, usually easiest if two pipes running to the rad are close to each other under the floor, its just a matter of swapping them

yes of course, usually easiest if two pipes running to the rad are close to each other under the floor, its just a matter of swapping them

My pipes are coming through the stud wall into the rad, all pipes are hidden. Bathroom wall is tiled but the stud wall that the bathrom rad is on,is also our bedroom wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back