New radiator (and plaster), old connection does not reach - simple solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TLDR: any simple solution to bridge the gap between TRV outlet and Radiator Inlet? Gap as per pic 1 to 2

Had a room renovated that had an existing radiator mounted direct to brick wall (existing home owners)

We have had this room renovated which meant plasterboard over the brick wall.

Also a new radiator, same dimensions as previous but Ofcourse thickness of plaster board away so no longer aligns

I have mounted this on the shorter bracket (closest to wall).

The pipe naturally sits as per photo 1.
I can pull the pipe as per photo 2 but this requires considerable strength that would worry me about just tightening a nut to hold it place, plus it is slightly misaligned by angle (I assume I could loosen the bottom but and align if needed?)

I did tighten a nut and held in place. I then undone this as it felt too forced and now won’t stay again (assume I’ve changed the olive shape too much).

Any simple solutions or do I need to get the pipe extended?
This is the TRV side of the radiator

Thank you

Attachments

• 513B8C2B-C164-401F-9919-E6059373516E.jpeg
    513B8C2B-C164-401F-9919-E6059373516E.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 95
  • FB6178D5-67F1-441A-A4A9-1909AAF8B751.jpeg
    FB6178D5-67F1-441A-A4A9-1909AAF8B751.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
Looks as though it can be connected ,albeit under strain. Can you bend the copper pipe a tad ?

Looks as though it can be connected ,albeit under strain. Can you bend the copper pipe a tad ?
I’ve personally never done so but happy to try!

My concern however is it’s not a continuous pipe by the looks of it and thus joined by a corner joint as per photo. I imagine this is near impossible to bend / just split and cause leakage?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 47
Looking at the last pic it would be better to extend the pipework. I assume the horizontal section doesn't pull outward from the wall any ?

Sponsored Links
Looking at the last pic it would be better to extend the pipework. I assume the horizontal section doesn't pull outward from the wall any ?
I can go from pic 1 to pic 2

This is purely the horizontal being pulled out (the vertical does not bend/lean)

However you may also be able to see its not pulling out perpendicular - the pipe goes along the length of the wall and then hits the plaster slightly (as soon as the pipe goes onto the wall there is a 90 degree bend so the pipe then follows the wall line)

Therefore any pulling of the pipe out results of the inlet and outlet not being aligned

The more I’m pulling it out however the looser I think it’s becoming therefore maybe the if I can turn the TRV a bit so it aligns it might hold

I’m just worried this would cause a leaks in future with pressure

Attachments

• 8283CA9A-5798-45FB-BD15-AECD70FA2500.jpeg
    8283CA9A-5798-45FB-BD15-AECD70FA2500.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 43
  • C7A5428A-F75F-4C16-9840-63DC42CFC2C3.jpeg
    C7A5428A-F75F-4C16-9840-63DC42CFC2C3.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 48
I can get it on to this but the nut/olive then at an angle and under strain?

Attachments

• 87944C45-09F0-4E44-B631-59EE7FCF13C9.jpeg
    87944C45-09F0-4E44-B631-59EE7FCF13C9.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 43
If the TRV is turned a few degrees on the copper pipe ,so it aligns with the radiator tail ,that should go together ok.
What's the other end / valve / pipe like ?

If the TRV is turned a few degrees on the copper pipe ,so it aligns with the radiator tail ,that should go together ok.
What's the other end / valve / pipe like ?
As per my second reply above (joined and at angled) can confirm water was coming out! I did not do this too tight however

Other end appears to be fine. Had a lot more give. It could go much further but doesn’t seem too strained and no leak when I opened the valve a bit (attached)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 49
Other end looks fine. I would fit a new olive on the rad tail on the side in question ,turn the TRV to align and fit it ,should be ok.
If you cut away a bit of the plasterboard on the inside of it ,would that gain any further outward movement of the pipe ?

Other end looks fine. I would fit a new olive on the rad tail on the side in question ,turn the TRV to align and fit it ,should be ok.
If you cut away a bit of the plasterboard on the inside of it ,would that gain any further outward movement of the pipe ?
I’ve also got 2 tails.

One that came with the TRV (top) and another I bought in a pack (bottom).

The top one is too short, and the bottom one slides.
I assume this is so you can decide the length?
However when trying to fit the TRV side it’ll just push it in and therefore not slot in correct?

Various length tap tails are available.
Had not uploaded image. Is this sliding style meant to be cut? Seems odd it can slide as makes fitting all the way into the TRV outlet hard.

Also less threads than what is in the radiator

Top one is too short

If sliding not advised I’ll get a longer one (that’s solid) and cut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 52
I don't use the telescopic type ,don't like the idea ,and prefer rigid tails.

yes you can cut them to length, many modern radiators require a lot of PTFE on the male threads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back