New radiator leaking from insert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted new radiators throughout with new TRVs and lockshields.
Some of them are leaking from the inserts on the TRV side. I have used PTFE but only 4/5 wraps. I read somewhere I should wrap it 20 times.

What could the problem be?

Sponsored Links
More ptfe.

You'll struggle to get 20 wraps on a rad tail but make sure you get a good overlap on each wrap.

Sponsored Links
I usually do about 12-14 turns.

But the thicker PTFE tape sold for gas pipes is usually far better.

I really don't know why rad makers cut the thread so deep on rads so we have these problems.

Tony

I use hemp and paste and on occasion gas tape with no problems. Now I'd use the Loctite string suggested by MickyG.

Agile, rads are rads, we are there to get over it, just be grateful the old Thorn rads are not available anymore, their threads were atrocious.

Rads are rads that quite true.

Now I don't know what is wrong or why!

Something I expect to do with specifications for pipe threads.

Quite likely the rad makers are using dimensions designed for pipe joints using hemp or some other historical reason which is no longer relevant.

Although I only fit a relatively small number of rads I find it intensely annoying that the threads are not cut more conveniently.

Another aspect is that the pipe insert on a Drayton TRV, my choice for quality and appearance, virtually disappears into the rad tapping!

Tony

10-12 with a tiny smear of lsx.

will never let by........ ever

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back