New Radiator

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have only seen rad floor brackets for column type rads. Although they take the weight, I assume you still need some brackets on the wall to steady the rad.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Radiator-Floor-Bracket/invt/160054?source=123_4

Not sure if there are floor brackets for ordinary rads.

As its a smallish rad, you should get away with screwing one bracket into a stud, and the other end into heavy duty butterfly plasterboard fixings. Just hope that they don't have kids who climb on the rads!

Not ideal though.

Can't locate the studded areas at the moment, wife is having a sleep but may place narrow battens on outside of plaster-board, fixed to the timber supports. Is this ideal?

Only if painted the same colour as the wall and completely hidden by the rad. Will do the job though.

Don't forget that doing this will make the rad stand further off the wall. What about pipe connections, are the pipes in situ already.

Alternatively use a couple of thin strips of aluminium instead of timber, and fix brackets to this with self tappers. Rad won't then stand too far off wall.

If you can locate one stud, still best to fix one end of rad to this, other end to butterflies.

I like the idea of aluminium strips (many thanks), please can you tell me the type of store where I may buy these and a possible cost?
Pipes are in situ 8mm which I am going to lengthen using couplings, don't see a problem if I use the aluminium, grateful if you could suggest the minimum thickness for the strips.
Thanks again

Not sure where you can get alu from. Try Yellow Pages under'metal supplies'

The alu only needs to be couple of mm or so thick to give support. Not too thick, or will be more difficult to get self tappers into. As you screw the s. tappers in, just let them bury their ends in the wall.

Been & Queued sell metal strips, but only steel I think, which will rust in a bathroom.

I wasn't on about pipe lengths, more their distance from the wall. If you used timber, the rad would stand too far off the wall, the valves and pipes wouldn't line up. :cry:

I like the idea of aluminium strips (many thanks), please can you tell me the type of store where I may buy these and a possible cost?
Pipes are in situ 8mm which I am going to lengthen using couplings, don't see a problem if I use the aluminium, grateful if you could suggest the minimum thickness for the strips.
Thanks again

Do you have a Metals Supermarkets near you?
You can get what you need there - at a price.
John :)

Hi Again,
Sorry to be a pain, I think I will go with aluminium, thanks to you. Found a place on the internet named Aluminium Warehouse, prices very reasonabl, will give them a ring on Monday see what their delivery charges are like, or as you suggest try Yellow Pages.

Measure the distance between outer brackets. Find vertical studs that are a distance greater than this apart. Buy some WBP ply that is no thicker than the existing plasterboard plus plaster. Place on wall so that it reaches from stud to stud and is in correct position for radiator brackets. Mark wall with pencil around piece of ply. Cut plasterboard out of wall to that shape. Replace with ply. Screw radiator brackets onto ply with short, thick screws; drilling a few extra holes in brackets for extra strength, bearing in mind the screws effective length won't be much longer than ply thickness. Fill around ply & paint if visible.

Don't even go there with 'butterflies'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back