New Radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a 1760mm width radiator with a 1600mm one, which means I will have to extend the tails by 80mm each side.
Is this an acceptable practice and what is the best way to do it, any help would be appreciated.
I notice that Screwfix sell tails which are 50mm in length. Is it possible to buy longer ones?
Is it possible to buy radiators which are 1760mm other than those made by Myson?

Sponsored Links
Is this an acceptable practice

Not really.
You should alter the pipes below the floor to suit.
If solid floors or the cust is ok with it use 2 x 15mm x 1/2" male adaptors screwed into rad and couple of chrome nuts and rings on valves and piece of copper between.

Not really.
You should alter the pipes below the floor to suit.
If solid floors or the cust is ok with it use 2 x 15mm x 1/2" male adaptors screwed into rad and couple of chrome nuts and rings on valves and piece of copper between.

This is a DIY site, and it is fine what you (the OP) has suggested. As an established plumber & gas engineer the above advice is good - only if your capable of doing it.

Sponsored Links
I think if he didn't feel capable of changing a rad he wouldn't have asked what to do with the pipes in the first place :confused:
Screwing in a couple of boiler couplings and cutting a bit pipe is not difficult.

I think if he didn't feel capable of changing a rad he wouldn't have asked what to do with the pipes in the first place :confused:
Screwing in a couple of boiler couplings and cutting a bit pipe is not difficult.

no not when you have them on van and do it every day.
diyers don't have all these to hand and don't know every trick in the book.
so they ask for help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back