New radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

We’re in the process of decorating a bedroom in our new home. We’ve had it skimmed and waiting to paint. We’ve removed the old panel radiator and plan to replace it with a column radiator but struggling to find one the same size. My question is, am I best to get one slightly smaller than the original one and get a plumber to extend the pipes, or one bigger and get the pipes shortened?

thank you

Jay

Sponsored Links
Hi it’s copper. Can take a photo once home but it’s just two copper pipes with the valves on sticking up from the floor board?

If the floor is carpet on floor boards, you can have whatever you want- provided that you are happy to pay the plumber accordingly.

Just out of interest, if a column rad, would you not want the pipes to come out of the wall rather than the floor? The plumber should (read: might) be able to cut away the skirting with an oscillating saw and then chase the pipes in to the walls.

Sponsored Links
yes but its what's underneath thats important. How old is this house/install?
tower rads are much less efficient than conventional double convector rads, make sure you buy one with enough capacity.

It’s something alone the lines of the photo attached we are looking at, not a tower radiator. The pipes on that one look like they come from the floor but will certainly to the plumber about that.
As for the age etc, it’s a 1930’s house but I think the central heating system is 10-15 years old

Apologies

Attachments

• 5D4BA8BF-FE95-49A7-A5FB-5A989982049D.jpeg
    5D4BA8BF-FE95-49A7-A5FB-5A989982049D.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 112
If the old rad was imperial then you either need a bigger, or smaller rad. From memory, a 1700mm rad is about 100mm smaller than the nearest old imperial version. If you don't want to lift the floor to deviate the tails you can use horizontal rad extensions.

download.jpg

If it were my home, I would get the plumber to make sure that the pipes were in the right place. That said, the extensions would be cheaper than moving the pipe work.

______edit- if you want chrome pipes then you really should consider lifting the floor boards if you want a seamless finish.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. Guess it comes down to cost. I’m only a basic DIYer, I don’t have the know how you guys and girls have so lifting boards fillls my head with visions of major repairs!?

Thank you, that’s really helpful. Guess it comes down to cost. I’m only a basic DIYer, I don’t have the know how you guys and girls have so lifting boards fillls my head with visions of major repairs!?

a decent plumber expects to deal with that kind of stuff. It depends on whether you are willing to pay the extra. It might be less expensive than think

Sponsored Links
Back