Rewire and new rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we’ve just moved into our new home, a 1930’s link detached. Eventually we want to knock through/extend the back but think we need to live in it a while first to decide what’s right. In the mean time, we’re pretty sure it needs a rewire. Really old consumer unit and old colour wiring in all sockets/switches. The old lady that lived here previously has kept it immaculate, it’s just very dated so we plan to strip the aniglipta, skim and paint the whole house.
My question is would you suggest having the rewire done and also get the radiators replaced at the same time since both would require lifting boards etc. We are probably a year or 2 away from thinking about the extension and want to get the rest of the house nice so would a rewire (future proofing for the extension) and having the radiators replaced for column rads be something that could be done at the same-ish time to avoid having the disruption twice. Like I say we plan on skimming and decorating anyway so having walls channeled and boards lifted once would be much easier.

thanks in advance and sorry if none of that made much sense

Sponsored Links
If you need both, get them done similar time yes, otherwise you’ll probably regret the mess, disruption etc again.

Hi
As above get them done at the same time.

mum a plumber and when I’m at a job with a sparky customers usually ask me to chase the pipes into the wall before they re plaster etc . If you do this make sure the pipes are protected.

I would suggest not just changing the rads but all your pipe work as there’s nothing worse in a old house not changing pipes and later down the line water running from your newly finished walls or ceiling .

expect a lot of dust with both trades so ideally no carpets and empty or everything covered.

Sponsored Links
Changing rads does not necessarily involve lifting floorboards.

Changing rads shouldn't 'normally' involve lifting boards but imagine the crud that may be in the pipework after many years.
If not changing the pipework I'd certainly get a power flush done first before removing the rads.

Back