New radiators in extension - builder wants to run pipes up and over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can any one clarify

We are having an extension modified to provide disabled facilities in our bungalow. The builder wants to run the copper pipes up and across the roof space for two radiators. Will this mean the system will be hard to balance (the rest of the bungalow is fed via pipes in the floor)

( combi boiler serving 6 rads + 2 new Hydronic plinth heaters)

PW

Sponsored Links
Balancing won't be a problem as long as the pipes are sized properly.

Is the system sealed?

Decent air elimination will be needed.

Be wary of builder's plumbers. Not all have a clue.

Cheers Shabani
By sealed do you mean closed and pressurised to about 1bar/14psi then yes.

I hadn't considered the air locking possibilities, I was just worried about head difference. wont know about sizing until they strip out the old bathroom because the pipes diverge behind boxed in stuff. I take the point about Builders plumbers
PW

Sponsored Links
Really the pipes should have an auto or manual air bleed point at the highest part of the pipes.

But the auto ones can leak so after they have removed all the air they should be closed off.

The extra length of pipes will make little difference if the system has been correctly balanced. But not all do that.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back