New rads, no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help.

I drained my heating system and installed a new radiator in my bathroom and since doing so I have no hot water. There is water coming from the tap, however it is cold.

I have a gravity fed system, cold water tank in loft, hot water cylinder tank in bathroom and gas boiler in utility room.

From google I understand that there is maybe air trapped in the system somewhere. Would this be in the rads or in the tank it self?

I should add the heating is fully functional and rads are hot.

Would love some advice and a how to guide to solving the problem.

Thanks in advance.

SP

Sponsored Links
I think the feed and expansion pipe, from the loft into your circulation pipes, is probably blocked with hardened sediment.

If you bleed the highest radiator in the house, does water squirt out forcefully, and without dying away?

If so, have you got a magnet?

Thanks for the replies so far.

DH6 - sounds possible, any idea how to fix?

JohnD - yes bleed them all this morning and a couple from upstairs squirts out. don't think I have a magnet.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As DH6 says you have an airlock in the cylinder indirect coil, post a pic of the HW Cylinder and we will tell you how to remove it

Above and below the cylinder. Thanks for any help.
IMG_2192.JPG
IMG_2194.JPG

And you dont have a gravity system, you have an open vented Y plan, they are very different systems

Oops my bad. I thought that was a gravity fed system. Thanks for letting me know.

I have bled the valve you guys referred to and hasn't made a difference. I should add that the water is like warm, slightly warmer than cold, as if some heat is getting to the tank. Not sure if that changes things.

Any other ideas?

Sorry dan I missed your comment above.

Excuse my ignorance but where is the bypass? How much should I close it to?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back