New Regs and Bathroom Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that :

"Supplementary bonding between metallic service and waste pipes and the earth connections of equipment is no longer required, provided the main bonding of services within the property is in place and the metallic pipework can be proved by testing to be continuous. This means that the need for green and yellow cables in bathrooms is unlikely to be necessary."

So what does "the main bonding of services" mean.

Sponsored Links
Things like your water service and the gas service, however main equipotential bonding is also required to any extraneous conductive part to the building such as a metallic building structure, metallic sewer pipe etc etc etc.

So to get this straight. The water main is plastic and all pipework is plastic apart from the short lengths to the boiler. None of this pipework needs bonding. I do not have gas only oil through a plastic pipe so this does not need bonding. If I have an electrical towel rail in the bathroom this does need bonding - which is simply running a 4mm earth wire from the rail earth to the lighting earth - as long as the rail socket is earthed. Is that it?

Possibly, are the drains metallic? Metallic building structure?
Anything else in the bathroom which can introduce a potential (including earth potential) to the room? Electric shower? Any other circuits in the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
I am renovating a barn and intend to get the local authority to inspect but want to make sure I understand things correctly. No shower - but if there was I would connect the shower earth to one of the other earths. This seems to make life alot simpler than having earth cable to radiators and pipes and 10mm back to the consumer unit. Life normally gets more complicated.

I have read that :

"Supplementary bonding between metallic service and waste pipes and the earth connections of equipment is no longer required, provided the main bonding of services within the property is in place and the metallic pipework can be proved by testing to be continuous. This means that the need for green and yellow cables in bathrooms is unlikely to be necessary."

So what does "the main bonding of services" mean.

Protective Equipotential Bonding in the 17th is equipotential bonding for safety. This includes (amongst others) connections between the MET and service pipes (like gas & water).

See here for abridged regulation concerning SEB in bathrooms:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131614

If you do do supplementary, it does not return (via cable) to the MET, only through the pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back