New regulations for domestic wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a new kitchen extension with new ring main and new consumer unit fitted. Plans and building regs were approved three years ago, before new regulations came in last year. Because plans were approved before this date, should the wiring and testing etc conform to the new regs or can we work to old regs? Working to old regs may be less expensive if we do not need to test all existing wiring etc. in the rest of the house - true or not?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
There are no new electrical regulations, only new (Jan 2005) Building Regulations that make certain electrical work notifiable.

As far as the electrical work is concerned, then it should be done according to the IEE Wiring Regulations which have not changed.

If you are having a new CU, then all the circuits should be tested, and if you've got an electrician who is proposing not to do that get shot of him before his horse eats your flowers.

If you are having a new CU, then all the circuits should be tested, and if you've got an electrician who is proposing not to do that get shot of him before his horse eats your flowers.[/quote]

:LOL:

Just contact Your local NICEIC Electrical firm and ask them to do it Better in the long run.

Http://www.NICEIC.org.uk

This site has a list of approved contractors in your area.

eltommys said:
Plans and building regs were approved three years ago, before new regulations came in last year.

Thats quite an important statement - have you already built the shell of the extension or are you still planning it?

Sponsored Links
:eek:

Sayin NICEIC contractors are not good?

Its better than picking at random someone out of the yellow pages NICEIC have inspectors to ensure all firms are up to speed. Do you not agree?

You won't find anyone here who agrees with you, apart from other NICEIC-brainwashed people.

Their system of qualified supervisors looking after armies of knuckle-draggers was already viewed with much suspicion, and their recent move to allow "instant electricians" to register has damaged their reputation still further.

I'm surprised, in fact, that you've not had compliants about your signature.

My advice to anybody selecting an electrician purely on the basis of registration is to only consider NAPIT - at least with them registration is on an individual basis, and not this Qualified Supervisor nonsense.

I understand thats you opinion, but im not one of these instant electricians.
I have trained for 4 years on a apprentiship have all quals and am classed as a Approved Contractor by the JIB.

It does annoy me with what your saying about these people doing there 2391 and part p and being call Electricians NOT THE CASE :eek:

It took me over 5 Years to get to this level

one more thing im not knuckle dragging, slightly offended by that :eek:

NuttallsSpark said:
I understand thats you opinion, but im not one of these instant electricians.
I'm not saying you are, but they do exist, as you admit, and complain about.

It does annoy me with what your saying about these people doing there 2391 and part p and being call Electricians NOT THE CASE :eek:
You don't even need 2391 to register with NICEIC. And what annoys you is precisely what I'm talking about - NICEIC registration is no guarantee of competence.

one more thing im not knuckle dragging, slightly offended by that :eek:
Again, never said you were, but you can't deny that the NICEIC model has always been that firms could register as Approved Contractors on the basis of having one or two people who really were qualified and a number of employees who were not qualified but who actually did the work.

I can see this is a massive subject and to be honnest i have never really looked this deep into it, but your are correct about the NICEIC.

I never imagined that the NICEIC would give competence to people without the basic knowledge of electrical principals.

i really am shocked will look deeper into this subject :LOL:

Always wondered why my boss sent me with the NICEIC inspector everytime he assessed the firm. :evil:

thats for the info :LOL:

NICEIC is not the only approval body, so really you shouldnt advertise "NICEIC" when you tell someone to get a competant/part p electrician :rolleyes: unless of course you work for them and they pay you to say that

Jim2287 said:
NICEIC is not the only approval body, so really you shouldnt advertise "NICEIC" when you tell someone to get a competant/part p electrician :rolleyes: unless of course you work for them and they pay you to say that

I dont work for the im on there list with my firm but i have alot of friends in the NICEIC family. One being my teacher from college who tought me all i know and hes a fantastic electrician, :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back