New roof including new roof timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys . I am looking for an indication on cost fo a new roof on a house we are looking to buy. We have had a bit of a shock on the survey which has highlighted the need for the roof. The woodwork has apparantly been coated with spray type insulation to prolong the life of the roof surfaces. Apparantly this can also lead to rot !

To clarify this is not just to tile the roof but remove all timber and start again from scratch because it has come to the end of its life.

What we have is a three bed detatched house. This is the link to rightmove so you can look at the style of the roof.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27204818.html?

The house is square and i recon is roughly 22 foot wide.

On another subject can someone tell me what pirce to expect for a new flat roof (felt for now as the cheapest) on a roof 17ft x 17ft. Lounge is an extension and also needs flat roof!

Has anyone seen the film moneypit!

Sponsored Links
Sorry to clarify. After reading other posts i dont think we have to remove all the old timber but repace tiles and re felt, plus get all of the old foam insulation off.

Hi , looking at the photo i would say you are looking at £4000-4500 to strip the roof of all that horrible foam, remove all the old felt and battens, install new breathable felt and battens and retile the roof in new concrete tiles.

It might be ok to reuse the original tiles that are on the roof if you prefer but only if they are in a good condition, this might save you £600- 800 of the price i stated.

Also i know that area well , i used to live there in billericay and me old mum still lives around the corner , nice place to live !

Nearly missed your flat roof........

17 ft x 17 ft ....if its just a felt changeover and the boards are good then you would be looking at £900-1000 for a three layer torch on roof.

If the boards were rotten about another 4-500 on top .

Sponsored Links
All of the above will be subject to building regulations so the pitched and the flattie will need to conform to latest heat loss and ventilation reg's.

So, Regencyroofers estimate is rather light for the flattie.

Guys. Thanks for the replys this gives me a bit of ammo to go back to the sellers with.

Much appreciated.

I forgot the flat roof would be covered under the building control too so probably another £300-400 for insulation board between the rafters.

Building control dont want to know about flat roofs around here if you are doing them on there own.

If the decking is ok on your flat roof you want insulation boards that fit directly onto your decking.No need to rip good boards up just to fit insulation between the joists.If this is the case you will need vapour barrier,insulation and 2 layer t/o.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back