New Roof Leaking (w. PICS) - need some advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had an extension built, a few months ago. The upper floor has a vaulted ceiling (no loft).

Recently we observed that rain was seeping around where the decorative beams meet the ceiling, as show below:

rain2.jpg

We spoke to the roofers and they will apparently come back soon to add some extra cement if there is a crack in the tiles. However, while still in the warranty period for the roof, the questions I need help with are:

1) Is this a satisfactory course of action?

2) The architect's plans specified use of good felt, etc. In a roof that's only a few months old, shouldn't the felt layer have stopped the water, regardless of a crack in a tile?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Unless there is a roof penetration above that beam I would guess that the leak may not be above where it is showing. Whatever the case it shouldn't be coming through to the felt so yes there may be a cracked tile, this should be replaced not bodged with a bit of mortar.

In turn the underlay should shed the water into the gutter so there may be a tear in the felt somewhere.

If you can get an outside pic it would help as an inside picture doesn't tell us much.

Unless there is a roof penetration above that beam I would guess that the leak may not be above where it is showing. Whatever the case it shouldn't be coming through to the felt so yes there may be a cracked tile, this should be replaced not bodged with a bit of mortar.

In turn the underlay should shed the water into the gutter so there may be a tear in the felt somewhere.

If you can get an outside pic it would help as an inside picture doesn't tell us much.

I'll try and make one tomorrow. However, since the roof is brand new there is no visible sign of anything being wrong (all tiles look in perfect order). What I'm concerned about is that only cementing tiles is being discussed, when from what I'm reading here, the presence of water inside the new room would suggest some felt issue also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back