Desperately need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new roof 3 months ago, Rosemary tiles were removed and replaced with pantiles.
A long diagnal crack has appeared in the upstairs front bay upto the ceiling. I spoke to a few surveyors who felt it was probably the roof not being strengthened to take the pantiles.
I've since looked round all the rooms and found numerous new cracks.
I'm horrified.
I haven't yet contacted the roofer but I don't think he will be helpful. I have a builder I know coming to inspect tomorrow.
Do Ihave any rights here. Haven't been able to sleep for worrying about it.

Sponsored Links
Someone will be along to advise you but when my house was re-roofed (before I moved in) we too had cracks in the front and back rooms.

It was basically the rubble that had fallen from the old roof onto the inside of the ceiling. They had also thrown the old rubble down some of the wall cavities too :evil: It could just be the weight of the rubbish on the roofs or when things are dropped.

Have a look in the loft, see how much sh1te you can find

Really? Will have a look.
I fear it's more than that because so many cracks have appeared.
Thanks for your reply.

Don't worry about your roof being overloaded, concrete pantiles actually weigh significantly less than Rosemarys.

Rosemarys are 78 kg per sq metre compare to about 50 kg for concrete pantiles.

Your cracks have been caused by something else, possibly by the point load weight of the roofers standing on the joists.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Roofer that's very interesting.
The cracks have appeared a month or two after the roofer left though. Can you think of any other explanation?
I guess a builder getting in the loft space and looking at the timbers will be worthwhile.
Really appreciate your input.

these cracks are in the walls? or in the ceiling?

How about some pics?

If you go into the loft, do you see any joints coming apart, any damage, anything cut (e.g. to make a loft into a room)?

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/withnail1969/ebay2005.jpg

This is the first one I noticed above the bay window. It starts above the picture rail and goes diagnally through the curve upto the ceiling.
I'll try and get more pictures.
In the other rooms there's a vertical crack that starts in the skirting board and runs up most of the wall. Most cracks are above picture rail to ceiling position.
Haven't been in loft (too much of a girl), the timbers were in good condition when inspected - we bought 1 year ago.
Thanks.

you need something in the pic to show scale. A 50p piece, or a ruler or something.

Best get your step ladder and torch out and look in the loft.

You also need to look in them to see if they are clean inside (new) or dirty (old)

damage to roofing timbers, especially cutting them "to make more space" can cause the roof to push the walls apart. Most roofs are not suitable for use as rooms.

it's just a roof space, not even used for storage. don't think there was any cutting etc as it was surveyed when bought last year.
cheers

No.... didn't know it could work like that. One of the cracks has got longer today, would that still be happening months later?
I've just found our roof survey from a year ago saying the timbers were in good condition considering they're 70 yrs old. Glad we've got that as proof if anything dodgy is found.
See what our builder thinks tomorrow.

Hi guys
Builder came out, thinks the roof isn't the problem. He'd checked with suppliers re the weight and the pantiles are slightly lighter. The timbers were strong and he could see no issues there at all.
A lot of the cracks are in line with the new fascias and soffits so he thought it could be the wrong fittings, maybe too big causing internal cracks?
The other possiblity is the single level rear extension which was put on 2 yrs ago before we bought. If the wrong RSJ was used could this cause internal cracks?
I would've thought there would be cracks from the ground level up not high wall to ceiling cracks but then, as you've seen, I have no idea!
One of the cracks was looked at by a Structural Eng when we bought, he said it was plaster shrinkage a year ago but as it's got worse and there's additional cracking I'm hoping he'll come and see what's going on for free..... waiting for his call now.
that's the update.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back