New roof on bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are looking to have our roof replaced, we currently have concrete slate type tiles and we would be looking to replace with the same type.

Our roof is only 58 square metres and it is a bungalow, so I don't know if it means this would be cheaper to do as it's only one storey?

We have just had a roofer round, who has quoted 10K. This sounds very high to us, but I am not sure what to expect.

We are due to get another quote but cannot get anyone round at the moment for another week or two.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this quote was fair or what they have paid recently for a roof to be replaced?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
we currently have concrete slate type tiles
It is either a concrete tile or a slate. Which one? A photo of the roof would be a boon.

Our roof is only 58 square metres and it is a bungalow, so I don't know if it means this would be cheaper to do as it's only one storey?
58m² seems a wee bit small. Is this measuring the rafter run and ridge (verge to verge) etc?

A bungalow would be an easier option than a two storey.

A concrete interlocking tile roof would be the cheapest and simplest option. Slate and plain tiles (especially clay plain tiles) are the more expensive roofing materials.

We have just had a roofer round, who has quoted 10K. This sounds very high to us, but I am not sure what to expect.
£10k sounds like a lot of dollar for a roof that size.
Is the roof complex?
Is access difficult?
Does the £10k include scaffold and waste removal?

£2 - £2.5k will cover mat's, scaffold and a skip for a typical 58m² concrete interlocking jobby including cloak, eaves vents, breather membrane, vents, the odd valley, a bit of lead, battens etc.

Your roofer must have one heck of a day rate!

Do need to see a photo of the roof first though.

Thanks for your reply.

They are the old type concrete tiles, which was made to look like slate, but a lot lighter. I have attached a photo of the bungalow from before we moved in last year.

Yes the roof is only approx 58m squared. We have a flat roof extention on the back of the house, but the 58m is just the part of the original house.

I don't think the roof is too complex, and there is easy access either side as it is detached. Yes, it would include scaffolding but waste disposal was not discussed by him, but I assume so.

I know, I can't believe it! I prehaps expected 5-6k but 10k seems loads and we simply could not afford it.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Something odd here? That bungalow was the subject of an extended thread a few months ago - there's way more than a simple roof material replacement involved.

OP, whats going on here? I'm curious? Were you the person who posted the original pic?

Something odd here? That bungalow was the subject of an extended thread a few months ago - there's way more than a simple roof material replacement involved.

OP, whats going on here? I'm curious? Were you the person who posted the original pic?

Hey! Yes, it was my husband that posted about the flat roof at the front of the house. Since then, we have also had leaking in the roof and loft and cannot find a cause with it. We are just thinking now to change the whole roof as it is leaking in mulitple places.

It's so frustrating, as we haven't been here all that long. We're hoping if we get the complete tiled part done then at least that should be dry for a good few years.

The flat roof saga is still going, and still leaking.

Thank you for the reply - what was the name/date of the original thread?

From what i remember, your best bet was to get all your roof issues - flat & pitched - resolved at the same time?

Thank you for the reply - what was the name/date of the original thread?

From what i remember, your best bet was to get all your roof issues - flat & pitched - resolved at the same time?

Hi,

I'm not too sure what date he has written the last thread for the flat roof under, he has just asked me to get some ideas on the price of the quote for the main tiled roof.

The main tiled part of the roof was leaking previously, but as the damage is now looking bad, we're looking to get an idea of how much to change the tiled bit. This is a separate leak from the flat roof on the bay which my husband was asking about previously.

We have to change a row of tiles where the flat roof is anyway now, due to the last roofer messing them up.

Hi,

We are looking to have our roof replaced, we currently have concrete slate type tiles and we would be looking to replace with the same type.

Fibre/cement slates - probably replaced welsh slates or "diamond" asbestos slates in the past .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back