new rose light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i put a new celling light in because mine was old.I did it spot on to what it should be, i have checked more than 5 times, all the wires are in place and correct. The problem i have is that the rest of the switches in the flat all turn on the new one that i changed, so it doesnt matter which switch you turn on they only work in that one room. The switches for each light start to come on but then go out within seconds, i have checked the fuse box and all is fine, and have checked all wires to make sure they are not lose. Can someone please help im very very frustrated, also how do i get the rose bit back of when i went to put it back on, it wouldnt screw stright and now it has threaded thank u.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry to sound like a grumpy old sparky, maybe I am tired.

Please go back to your post.

Press the edit key.

Go through what you have written and use some of the useful punctuation features.

Comma (,)
Full stop (.)

Break up things a bit by using a new line now and again (= the enter key).

Once you've done that I'm sure you'll get someone to help.

Is the only work you have done been the light fitting, no switches or anything else?
Was everything working fine beforehand?

If the fitting was securely fixed then then the rose should come off with some pressure. If you can get the rose off and then post a picture of the connections then we may be able to help you quicker?

hi thank u for replying,NO, no other work was done i will post a picture tommorow, i don't know if i will be able to get the rose of because when i went to try and undo it the screw came out so it is just hanging at the mo :confused:

Sponsored Links
hi thank u for replying,NO, no other work was done i will post a picture tommorow, i don't know if i will be able to get the rose of because when i went to try and undo it the screw came out so it is just hanging at the mo :confused:

Well it'll have to come off somehow. When this happens to me I wedge a screwdriver through the cable entry point on the back of the rose and with a twist can lock it in position. Then I have the leverage to be able to force the rose off.
If you are gonna try this, turn the supply off first. ;)

Oh, and don't stab yourself.... IT HURTS!!

I think I came across a similar problem a few years back. It sounds like you may have got the switch return mixed up with a neutral.

Do you own a multimeter?
To get the top off. I isolate the power at the big main switch. then check for isolation. The I hit the ceiling rose with my claw hammer and replace it with a new one, being extra careful not x thread it.
Martin

He is a 2nd cousin to Trad and Anon.

He's the one with webbed fingers, and eyes too close together, who dribbles and is barely semi-literate.

I did it spot on to what it should be, i have checked more than 5 times, all the wires are in place and correct.
Clearly you did not and they are not.

Did you take the trouble to ensure that you understood how lights were wired before you decided to fiddle with one?

He is a 2nd cousin to Trad and Anon.

He's the one with webbed fingers, and eyes too close together, who dribbles and is barely semi-literate.

Ahh, so he's from Ayrshire?

(Apologies to any Ayrshireonians offended by this post for your lacking a sense of humour)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back