New shower/ boiler issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping for some advice from the professionals here.

I have had a complete bathroom renovation and have crossed over from a rubbish electric shower to a Mira Platinum Dual Digital Shower - Ceiling fed adjustable & Drencher HP/Combi 1.1796.00. This model has a maximum temperature of 48, overridden from 45 via the digital screen.
Currently the temperature will only perform to luke warm at best, but flow is great and am happy with it aside from this. I have an independent plumber (fantastic) who fitted this in and all other taps (inc bathroom) are working fine and boiling hot.
Had boiler man out as plumber found the heat exchange pump was super hot taking in, luke warm pushing out. Boiler man says it’s not heat exchange pump, it’s the shower that’s the problem. The boiler is 12 years old, an Ideal Logic 24Kw and has always been temperamental. As have the Homeserve engineers that have attended! Also, I am not covered for the heat exchange pump under my monthly service plan. Plumber has suggested changing heat exchange pump to see if it will then push up the hot water to shower, I am more keen to go with a new boiler full stop as it will need changing fairly soon anyway. I am looking at a Worcester Bosch 34kw boiler, and although I only have 7 radiators in the house, along with one bathroom, I am hoping the the higher output will solve the water issue in the shower. Would I be anywhere near right in thinking this could be a solution? My plumber is not pushing the new boiler on me, but I am happy to make the purchase and get the work done now rather than a few years down the line. More than anything, I want a hot shower. Any advice welcome, thank you all.

Sponsored Links
1. At maximum, the flow rate from your shower is 16 litres per minute (lpm).
2. I doubt a 24 kW boiler is capable of supplying that hot water flow rate. You should be able to look this up.
3. If you are asking too much flow rate from the boiler, it will deliver the flow, but at a lower temperature.
4. Try the following:
4.1 Turn on a basin hot tap, make sure the water is really hot.
4.2 Turn on the shower.
4.3 Check to see if the hot water at the basin has cooled. If it has it suggests the boiler cannot supply the demand.
5. You have two options:
5.1 Put up with a lower flow rate from the shower.
5.2 Change the boiler.
6. Before doing anything drastic, re-check everything.

Thank you so much, I tried 4.3 and the hot water in the basin has cooled. I will re-check everything and likely change the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back