new shower hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mixer tap on the bath and the shower hose developed a leak. So bought a new one, screwed it on, and it worked OK, albeit less water pressure from the shower head.

Checked closer, and realised it had a smaller bore: 8.5 mm.

So took it back and bought another, 11mm bore. Screwed it on and nothing comes through. At all.

Took it off and checked:

* with no hose fitted, water comes through the mixer tap and spouts up. So nothing wrong with the mixer
* holding the end of the (unconnected) hose under tthe tap, water comes through the hose (no pressure bu it des come through) so the hose is not blocked.

So why does nothing come through when the hose is screwed on? Could it be sometthing to do with the washer? But how?

Sponsored Links
This is strange. Is there some kind of injector cartridge for high pressure water in the hose or something. I really have no idea. You tried blowing down the hose? :p

Last edited:
have not yet tried attaching the shower head!

Blew down it. Air flows freely through....

Tried a thinner washer. Some water comes through but no pressure at all.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is the diverter mechanism (in the tap) being obstructed by the hose/washer?
Not as far as I can see. Have taken hose off/on 8-10 times with same result. Also don't see how the hose could affect the diverter which is hidden down inside.

Think I'll return the hose tomorrow and try another!

So - the resolution.

Took the hose back and the plumber merchant guy was great. He found some grunge lodged in the hose, then took me out back, connected it to the outside tap, and got it flowing freely.

Brought it home, fitted, works a treat!

Now the embarrassing part: he asked me when I last cleaned the cold water tank in the attic. Errr... cleaned the tank? 20 years I've lived here and it's been cleaned exactly... um... yup. It needs cleaning! Never ocurred to me. Do people actually clean their attic tank? How often?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back