New shower keeps tripping RCD

You're aware that each RCD has it's own neutral bar? You don't have to pretend to be qualified/have equipment you know, the internet police won't find you. It just means you should get an electrician. I think i'm fairly competent on the basics, but when it comes to things I don't know/can't do, like testing or most things notifiable, I get an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Is he a troll?

Or is he an incompetent idiot who thinks that bluster will successfully mask his incompetence and idiocy?

Because it's an at home job, my kit is in the van 1/4 mile away, and it's bleeding cold outside, it can wait til tomorrow.

That is probably closer than the crematorium though it would be warmer there.

But seriously if you have to ask on a DIY forum why your new install is not working then you are NOT competent install safe electrical equipment.

THINK if your MCB and RCD are tripping then you have a low impedance connection live to earth ( CPC ) or live to ground.

Disconnect at the CU and call in an electrician and pay to have the shower installed correctly. His bill will be less than a funeral.

Sponsored Links
[quote="flameport";p="1916378]Probably the switch.[/quote]
Spot on, had another look with fresh eyes realised I'd wired it wrong, hey presto, 30 seconds later working shower, cheers for help to everyone who posted helpful suggestions, as for everyone else, go swivel.

You don't have to pretend to be qualified/have equipment you know, the internet police won't find you.

ROFL, I never said i was qualified, I said competant. Besides it dosent matter now, no fluctuations during testing and i'll have part p signed off by the end of the day, once again cheers for the helpful suggestions.

Hi, I'm installing a new shower and for whatever reason beyond my knowledge it keeps tripping the RCD.

As you are competent perhaps you can explain how an incorrectly wired switch can cause the RCD to trip.

HINT the RCD trips on earth leakage.

How can a mis-wiring of Live and Neutral into a switch create earth leakage, A dead short across the Live and Neutral from an incorrectly wired switch will cause the MCB (over current) to operate.

You will of course be replacing the switch which will have been damaged by closing onto a dead short.

I had a small split in the live sleeving exposing enough of the bare cable to contact the earthing strip across the centre of the switch, seeing as i'd wired it with a 'damaged' cable I would deem that as incorrect wiring. The switch has already been swapped, I learnt many years ago buy 2 of everything, just because it's new doesnt mean it works and any decent supplier will refund anything you don't use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back