New shower with existing 6mm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm really sorry but can someone please confirm is the maximum kw for a shower with a 6mm cable an 8.5kw or can we go higher.

Sponsored Links
Give us info on the cable run (insulation, conduit, trunking, distance etc.) and we can give you more accurate advice.

westolly said:
Hi i'm really sorry but can someone please confirm is the maximum kw for a shower with a 6mm cable an 8.5kw or can we go higher.

Some advice here : http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/wps/...e+To+Water+Systems/Electric/Electric+Showers/

"The size of cable required is determined by the kW rating of the shower, the distance between the shower and the consumer unit and the way the cable is to be fitted.

The minimum size will be 6mm2 but in some cases 10mm2 or larger will be required. For showers rated above 8kW a minimum cable size of 10mm2 is strongly recommended"

Sponsored Links
...and : http://www.plumbingpages.com/featurepages/StritonInstadvice.cfm

"The cable size must also be considered, depending on the product and site conditions. It is now recognised as good practice to install 9.5kw and 10.5kw rated showers on a minimum cable size of 10 mm squared."

Amazing what a quick Google search will show up ! ;)

The 9.5kw electric shower at my last house was on a 6mm2 cable, but it looks like it might be better to play it safe these days and stick to the 8.5kw shower you mention. Either that or upgrade your cable which might be preferable as I can't imagine that the flow rate from an 8.5kw shower will be that great.

My general rule of thumb is up to 8.5 on 6, anything more is 10.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back