NEW SKIMMED WALLS WHAT THE PROCEEDURE B4 PAINTING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some walls newly skimmed, they are now fully dried out as this was done about 3 weeks and I would like to prepare for decorating. I not new to painting and decorating but have never painted bare walls before so want the best possible finish.
I have been told to use a watery PVA by one person and watery emulsion by another.
Your advice would be very welcome. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
MODS

Can we please have a sticky on this?, its a question that comes up time and time again

Sponsored Links
What's the point in asking a question if it's the 'same old question'.
Don't know exactly how many years this sites been going but I know it's ax lot. Surely after so many years every question under the sun will have been answered.
I just thought there may have been some fresh replies after all times change, tecniques change, and some things improve, I'm quite sure the Romans didn't have Wickes or B&Q Trade Matt...........or did they?
Sorry I asked, oh and thank you Geraldthehampster at least you had a go.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Some answers never change and we get fed up typing the same old answer day after day after day.

Im certainly no decorator, but Ive used PVA on fresh plaster and its worked fine, so Id be interested in knowing why it shouldnt be used. Is it perhaps just not as effective as diluted paint?

Im certainly no decorator, but Ive used PVA on fresh plaster and its worked fine, so Id be interested in knowing why it shouldnt be used. Is it perhaps just not as effective as diluted paint?

Because paint doesn't stick to it very well, or sometimes at all.

Cheers
Richard

It was generally believed that PVA is a master sealer for everything, but unfortunately for some tasks it works opposite, as a water repellant, it stops paint sticking o the walls properly. I also learned the hard way, and noticed that the paint roller would not coat the paint evenly as the paint needs to soak a little into the skim, and the PVA sealer stopped it, as it left a thin coating of seal, which stopped it absorbing paint into the skim for a better adhesion.

But watered down emulsion is your best bet, after it dries you can give your wall one or two final coats, depending how good and strong a finish you want.

I have just had some walls newly skimmed, they are now fully dried out as this was done about 3 weeks and I would like to prepare for decorating. I not new to painting and decorating but have never painted bare walls before so want the best possible finish.
I have been told to use a watery PVA by one person and watery emulsion by another.
Your advice would be very welcome. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

By the way, did you learn how to write your long name by an Afgan soldier?

I ask because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5pKGqQh1yk

After being recommended to use dilute PVA by my plasterer and all knowing grandparents, this is what I did.

Worked a treat.

It's only a problem if you mix it too thick and it leaves a shiny coating of plastic on it. It's impossible to roller to start with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back