New Skirting board: Fit Level or follow the Brick-line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m fitting a new skirting board to my small utility room where all walls are made of brick. Problem is, the brick line is not level. I’ve a unit to the side, which the baseboard hits up against on one side. The baseboard sits lower than the unit bottom edge though. Butting up against the brick work on the wall opposite.

If I match the baseboard to the unit, it creates a nasty looking ‘wedge’ shape in the brickwork at the opposite end. If I raise the baseboard level to even out the wedge, I end up with a huge 12mm gap under the board to the carpet

What should I do or which way would you tackle this?

pics here: https://imgur.com/a/R5GwThX

Sponsored Links
If I couldn't level the floor before starting, I'd scribe the underside of the skirting to the floor so that the bottom is fairly tight to the floor and the top runs parallel to the brick courses.

To do this you'll need to find the lowest point in the room and work outwards from there, marking the top of the skirting on the wall in pencil at that point. Then transfer the heights at various points to the skirting and trim it down with a saw and a block plane. The gap at the bottom of the unit can be covered with beading, but why is there such a gap? Is the floor out of level across the front of the units as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use a wider (taller) skirting board, and 'taper' the bottom of the skirting board - so the top edge of the skirting board is in-line with the brickwork.

It would mean the skirting board is going to be taller at one end - but with a wider (taller) skirting board this will be less obvious.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back